Create a PTO by "reverse-application" of a PTO-driven hydraulic pump?

/ Create a PTO by "reverse-application" of a PTO-driven hydraulic pump? #13  
I've seen those, but wow they take a lot of hydraulic flow. :eek:

17.1 GPM continuous
21.0 GPM intermittent

Those are the max flow ratings. Based on the size of the motor (4.95 cuin/rev = 0.0214 gal/rev) it will take 11.5 gal/min to turn it at 540 rev/min.

If you have lower flow it will turn slower. Or, you can get a smaller volume motor and buy or make a PTO spline adaptor for it. I posted this as an example of what to get to make it easy to assemble a hydraulic PTO.

I've got a Struck Magnatrac that has a 3 PT hitch with hydraulic motor PTO. I didn't want to take the backhoe off to mount it to the rear of the tractor, so I just bolted it on to a skid steer quick attach plate and use it on the front of the tractor. If I remember right, the magnatrac runs abour 8 gpm flow. If this is close to the flow you have you could order the hydraulic motor with PTO spline from Struck as a replacement part. I don't know the size of that motor, but I've run post hole digger, chipper, and brush hog off the front of the magnatrac using the hydraulic PTO with no problem.

/ Create a PTO by "reverse-application" of a PTO-driven hydraulic pump? #14  
I see that this place offers round shaft to PTO spline adaptors. They have a 1" round x 1 3/8 spline that should work if you find the right size hydraulic motor with 1" output shaft.

Hub City Inc -

/ Create a PTO by "reverse-application" of a PTO-driven hydraulic pump? #15  
I figured I'd post a few pix of the Struck Magnatrac 3 point hitch/hyd PTO attachment I explained above. The unit was basically a flat backed box that I just bolted to a skid steer quick attach plate.

You could buy just the motor from Struck or the whole hitch and do the same. I don't know what Struck would charge for this unit today, but I'll bet it and the SS attach plate would be cheaper than something like this:

Buy Skidsteer Model 80 3 Point Adaptors from the best source – Skid Steer Solutions. We are your #1 choice for Skidsteer Model 80 3 Point Adaptors. Save time and money by shopping online.

And it would be better sized to a tractor with a smaller hydraulic flow (around 8 gpm).

Attachments

• Mag Hitch 1.jpg
    Mag Hitch 1.jpg
    999.6 KB · Views: 270
  • Mag Hitch 2.jpg
    Mag Hitch 2.jpg
    839.9 KB · Views: 286
  • Mag Hitch 3.jpg
    Mag Hitch 3.jpg
    899.6 KB · Views: 231
  • Mag Hitch 4.jpg
    Mag Hitch 4.jpg