Cross Threaded nut on spindle?

/ Cross Threaded nut on spindle? #11  
get a manual thread repair file and have at it.. that and a new nut.

soundguy

/ Cross Threaded nut on spindle?
All right I got it fixed and got one side of the driveway mowed.

Fix came with a new nut and an hours worth of work with the thread file. Turns out the thread is metric so I did not have access to a chaser to go over it with. I was surprised how well that thread file worked.

Finding a metric nut was a challenge though, the dealer didn't have any but luckily a steel place did.

Unfortunately it is raining buckets again today so the other side of the driveway will have to wait a little while to get cut.

Thanks for all the helpful hints. :)

/ Cross Threaded nut on spindle? #13  
All right I got it fixed and got one side of the driveway mowed.

Fix came with a new nut and an hours worth of work with the thread file. Turns out the thread is metric so I did not have access to a chaser to go over it with. I was surprised how well that thread file worked.

Finding a metric nut was a challenge though, the dealer didn't have any but luckily a steel place did.

Unfortunately it is raining buckets again today so the other side of the driveway will have to wait a little while to get cut.

Thanks for all the helpful hints. :)

I've often used a 3 cornered file for a job like that when I had nothing else available tool-wise. It takes a steady hand, a good eye, & a lot of patience, depending on the working conditions.

/ Cross Threaded nut on spindle? #14  
them thread files are worth their weight in other tools. I've saved many a shaft with them.. don't know how i did without them before I got one.. sure a tiriangle file is ok.. but you can mess up quick with them.

soundguy

/ Cross Threaded nut on spindle? #15  
In regards to the (bad?)idea of putting washers under the nut, it made me wonder if it would be a reasonable idea to add washers below the first nut and add a second nut to hold them in order to protect the end of the shaft. I realize that on most shafts, there isn't room for a second nut, much less the need for additional washers but hopefully you guys understand my question and can tell me if it is a good idea. I don't really plan on doing this, just wondering if it is a good idea, since my nut is hidden in a recess of a stump jumper. People who run mowers without stump jumpers might tend to want to do this, and it may happen to me in the future...
David from jax

/ Cross Threaded nut on spindle? #16  
G'day extra washers are ok just make sure you use hardened ones

Jon

/ Cross Threaded nut on spindle? #17  
I would think an acorn nut would be the answer