ct235

/ ct235 #41  
I am making this thread even longer but I guess this is the right way to go about it. I got around to changing oil and filter today. Sure enough, someone had over tightened both pan plugs and actually broke the aluminum casting. I went to the local O'reilly's and got some marine JB weld. Suppose to be good around oil, etc. I have put one good thick coat around the plug openings and will put another coat when the first one dries good. Sure don't want to think about having to buy a new pan plug the drive shaft would have to be dropped to replace the pan. Thinking seriously about drilling and tapping the two plugs as large as possible to put a smaller bolt with gasket so I won't have to put any more stress on the broken holes. Just screw the smaller plugs out. Does this sound reasonable?

No actually. Over-torqued pan bolts were something I was warned of by my dealer. They had just replaced a pair of pans because of this, and told me to go hand tight then snug another 1/4 turn max. Turns out mine were hardly tight at all when I did my first oil change- so I inquired.

I suppose you could try a 'weld' product, or overdrill. Personally, I'd want factory threads and pan, but I wouldn't sleep thinking of loosing oil while working the tractor. YMMV.

Sorry for this additional headache with your new tractor. BTW, who did the last oil/filter change?

/ ct235
"BTW, who did the last oil/filter change?"

No idea. I have put several coats of the JB weld With the plugs installed. Once that cures good I willl remove the plugs, inspect and go from there.

"YMMV" ? Not good at abbreviations.

/ ct235 #43  
If the last oil change was done by a dealer, and they over torqued the pan bolts, you could make a case to have them claim against their Garage Keepers liability insurance to repair your tractor: replace pans, gaskets, labor/parts, etc.

Can you ask the prior owner/ dealer from whom you bought the tractor?

YMMV: your mileage may vary. Google any term for the answer: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=ymmv

/ ct235
Looks messy and it is but I feel pretty good about my drain plug repair. I will clean up around it a little. JB Weld is easily shaped.

Attachments

• 100_7602.jpg
    100_7602.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_7603.jpg
    100_7603.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 130