Buying Advice Cub Cadet or Troy Built ZTR?

/ Cub Cadet or Troy Built ZTR? #1  

Zpapa2309

Tractor
N/A
I have been looking at both the Cub Cadet RZTL54FAB 54" and Troy Bilt Mustang XP 50" ZTR mowers. I have 5 acres but will be mowing about 3-3.5 acres. I'm a first time buyer and don't know much about either one! They are both under $3000 which is my budget. The Cub Cadet has a Kohler 24 HP V-twin engine, and the Troy Bilt has a 724cc Briggs & Stratton engine. Any suggestions on which way to go (or not to go)? Or, If you guys have any other suggestions apart from these (under $3000), please let me know! Thank you all!

/ Cub Cadet or Troy Built ZTR? #2  
I'd post this over in the Lawn and Garden forum. Maybe not more eyes, but certainly more knowledgeable ones about ZTRs there. I, personally, wouldn't buy a cub cadet anything. Their lower tier stuff is not well liked by people I know that have spent a lot of money on it.

They also hype up the super strong "12 gauge" frame. 12 gauge, in steel, is something like 0.1 inches.

As for the Troy built, in my experience Briggs engines are usually not exactly reliable. Modern ones, anyway. I hear if you get a US made unit they're better, but I doubt a consumer mower would have one.

My advice, and it ain't worth that much, is to find a commercial unit that's still got about half an engine life left in it. Which you should be able to do on your budget. I mow 3.5 acres every year. Still use the old Exmark that was about a decade old when we got it over a decade ago. Finally planning on a rebuild this winter.

/ Cub Cadet or Troy Built ZTR? #3  
I would second the advice to look at a clean used commercial unit.

/ Cub Cadet or Troy Built ZTR? #4  
I also concur with the advise already given. Find a clean, used commercial ztr. Hustler, Exmark, Scag, Ferris, Kubota, and John Deere are some of the brands to focus on.

/ Cub Cadet or Troy Built ZTR? #5  
Troy Bilt and Cub Cadet are one and the same. I heard that they build mowers to last 4 years and you would be lucky to get that. I would stay away from them. I know the temptation is to buy new and take care of it but the materials are lesser/thinner/weaker.

/ Cub Cadet or Troy Built ZTR? #6  
Look for a model with at least 23" rear tires. This will get you a good hydro unit. A commercial unit will usually go 2000 hours. The units you are looking at will struggle to get much past 500. Used will cost about $4000 and new will start at about $6500. These machines will mow at least 20% faster. Seems like a lot but it will be money well spent.

/ Cub Cadet or Troy Built ZTR? #7  
Agree with all the above advice. I bought an Exmark in 2006 that I still use every year. It cost a small fortune at the time, but it turned out to be worth it. Cheap is not the way to go with zero turns.
Buy once, cry once, as the saying goes.

/ Cub Cadet or Troy Built ZTR? #8  
Look for a model with at least 23" rear tires. This will get you a good hydro unit. A commercial unit will usually go 2000 hours. The units you are looking at will struggle to get much past 500. Used will cost about $4000 and new will start at about $6500. These machines will mow at least 20% faster. Seems like a lot but it will be money well spent.

I have about 1.5 acres of lawn, it takes 90 minutes to cut with a rider. Using a ZT will reduce the time to less than 1 hr. I cut 20 times a year, including dealing with leaves. Total hours per year 20. A machine that lasts 400 hours will have a life of 20 years. I am in my late sixties. Sounds like it will last my lifetime. LOL.

My Husqvarna rider was purchased at Lowe’s. Not a high end machine. Before getting my tractor, It was used to move stuff, drag my 600’ drive way and drag/cut my 100 yard range. 6 years old and over 200 hrs. Lost a spindle when I hit a large rock...$30 to replace.

I am on the lookout for a good used commercial unit but not easy to find where I live. Most are expensive or rode hard and put away wet. If I cannot find one, what “mid grade” ZT should be considered?

/ Cub Cadet or Troy Built ZTR? #9  
I have about 1.5 acres of lawn, it takes 90 minutes to cut with a rider. Using a ZT will reduce the time to less than 1 hr. I cut 20 times a year, including dealing with leaves. Total hours per year 20. A machine that lasts 400 hours will have a life of 20 years. I am in my late sixties. Sounds like it will last my lifetime. LOL.

My Husqvarna rider was purchased at Lowe’s. Not a high end machine. Before getting my tractor, It was used to move stuff, drag my 600’ drive way and drag/cut my 100 yard range. 6 years old and over 200 hrs. Lost a spindle when I hit a large rock...$30 to replace.

I am on the lookout for a good used commercial unit but not easy to find where I live. Most are expensive or rode hard and put away wet. If I cannot find one, what “mid grade” ZT should be considered?

Pretty much anything by the big names. Scag, Ferris, Kubota, Dixie Chopper, Toro, Grasshopper, etc. Have you considered financing? I know Kubota offers pretty good deals on their Zero Turns, and I can't imagine their competitors don't do the same.