cub starter intermittent problem

/ cub starter intermittent problem #1  

cardoon

Tractor
Farmall cub '58, Kubota L2800, Ford Jubilee
Hi,
New here.

The starter on my '58 cub has a problem with the switch to post contact.
When I take off the switch and jump it to the post? on the starter the starter works fine.
So I thought that the switch was bad and bought a new switch. That did not work at all.
I put the old switch back on and if I jiggle the thing the starter will work but it's random.
It seams like the post on the starter may be worn? and the switch and post aren't making contact?

The post I'm talking about has a copper top on it and it is somewhat worn.
Can I find a replacement post? It looks like it is threaded? into the starter.

Any advice greatly welcomed and gratefully received!

/ cub starter intermittent problem #3  
I'll assume it's still the original 6V system. Messick's shows the stud, insulator, & nut still available, if you want to do it yourself. Here's the link to the parts page & prices: http://www.messicks.com/CAS/56612.aspx

If you have a good local gen./starter rebuild shop, they should also be able to get the parts for you also. Or, while it's out, might be a good time to have them check the bearings, brushes, & clean up the armature while they would have it apart. IF you would care to do that.

Edit: Sorry, I thought it would take it to the page for the starter, normally it does... So, select "Electrical" in the menu, then look for 6V starter in the next menu that appears. It will show an exploded view of the starter, parts description, part #, and prices of parts.