Cub Ultima ZTS1 42" vs 46" ZTS1

/ Cub Ultima ZTS1 42" vs 46" ZTS1 #1  

MossyDell

Silver Member
Tractor
B2601 (2021) B6100E (1988) B2100 (1991) JD970 (1998)
Long story short, I am getting rid of my 42" cut zero turn because of issues on modest slopes. I am looking to replace it with the Cub steering wheel type ztr.

I'm fine with the 42" cut I currently have, due to tight spaces, lots of small trees to circle, and not that much grass really to mow. I am questioning it with the Cub because the 42" deck appears to be so close to the wheels and mower frame on both sides, whereas the 46" Cub deck has a few inches of extension on the left side.

Could someone with 42" deck experience on the ZTS1 weigh in here???? Thanks . . .

/ Cub Ultima ZTS1 42" vs 46" ZTS1 #2  
My neighbor behind me bought one of those steering wheel Cubs about 5 years or so ago. I was helping him take it off the trailer. It would get stuck just trying to go over the hump of the boards. Then we decided to just use my hillside to unload on. It came off ok then as it was downhill a little bit too. But when he tried getting that up the hill which really isn't that steep he would spin the tires on it. No traction. So, after he finally was able to get it to his house on the hill behind me I watched as he would cut his grass. That mower would get stuck trying to go up and down in the pattern he usually used to cut it. What he ended up doing to stop that problem was to cut the hill sideways. That worked and to this day is how he cuts that backyard of his. I personally don't think the mower is heavy enough and that's what causes the spinning tires. (usually the uphill side with the least traction) The steering wheel is a nice idea though. I do like that one.

/ Cub Ultima ZTS1 42" vs 46" ZTS1 #3  
We've had the 46" for a few years now. Been trouble free and cuts great. Wanted the steering wheel for the kids & Wife. Salesperson talked us out of the steering arm version because of some slopes on our property that are not easy to go straight up or down on. No complaints. The Ultima looks even better built.