Cultipacker? Who needs one?

/ Cultipacker? Who needs one? #1  

Elkins45

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
One of the tasks I do occasionally is plant food plots for the deer and turkeys on my farm. This year I decided to plant some oats. Seeds that big are easy pickings for the birds so I knew they needed to be packed or turned in somehow. A few years ago I had made a drag from 4X4 boards that seemed to do the job, but it eventually fell apart.

I was planning to cobble something together from old fence posts when it suddenly dawned on me to use my FEL bucket in float and drag it backwards across the field after sewing. So I dragged the whole field backwards following the tire track of the lass pass to make sure it was covered 100% It seemed to work great. It's a little slower than pulling a drag and all that backwards steering is a little tough on my neck, but it sure seems like a better solution than buying or building a piece of equipment I only use every couple of years.

/ Cultipacker? Who needs one? #2  
Try this:

Get a piece of chainlink fence the width needed to cover disk tracks. Tie 15-16 inch tires(heavy pickup tires) on and to the fence and attach a chain to each side for a hitch. Just drag it over the seeded plowed ground to cover seed. store it in the bushes for next year.

/ Cultipacker? Who needs one? #3  
We use an old dump truck end gate, (with a long chain to each side), as a drag. Any dirt that builds up on top just adds to the weight. Works great.