Curious about dependabilty

/ Curious about dependabilty #1  

KanakaRick

Silver Member
Tractor
KIoti DK50S
I have a 2003 DK50 and I am thinking about getting something newer. There are a lot of features in the newer tractors that weren't on the older ones. I was wondering if the newer tractors which probably have a lot of electronics in them are fussy. Does anyone know the year that Kioti started employing electronics into their tractors? Also what's the deal with that Blue additive to the diesel engines. Do the newer Kioti tractors need that? I am thinking about getting a bigger tractor. Any advice appreciated. ds

/ Curious about dependabilty #2  
Personally I’d try to avoid the emissions ladened machines. Seems like the majority of problems I read about have the word “regen” mentioned a ton of times.

I’m happy to have my simple, straight forward diesel. Heat up my glow plugs, start her up and run until time to fillerup and repeat.

My 2 cents.

Joel

/ Curious about dependabilty #3  
"Emissions-laden" pretty much means anything newer than 2013 and >25 hp.

The 'blue stuff' (AKA DEF) isn't for our size tractors.

/ Curious about dependabilty #4  
Tractors mainly employ the feature laden electronics to control the added emissions systems requirements. Current emission control in the US is called EPA Tier IV and requires a diesel particulate filter which must have the carbon burnt off from time to time. If the computer senses problems doing that you get the regeneration errors. There are only two ways to avoid it - buy older tractors or buy smaller tractors.

/ Curious about dependabilty #5  
Tractors mainly employ the feature laden electronics to control the added emissions systems requirements. Current emission control in the US is called EPA Tier IV and requires a diesel particulate filter which must have the carbon burnt off from time to time. If the computer senses problems doing that you get the regeneration errors. There are only two ways to avoid it - buy older tractors or buy smaller tractors.
Or buy a new Branson and gut or take the DPF off. It's about the only manufacturer that allows for this solution, as they use a fully mechanical engine and the emission stuff is basically an addon bolted to it with a standalone datalogger.

/ Curious about dependabilty #6  
Mahindra does not use regeneration or have that damn CCRT exhaust system on it.

/ Curious about dependabilty #7  
Every manufacturer has to use some way of exhaust aftertreatment on tractors above 25HP. Either DOC or DPF, they will use something.

Mahindra, most likely uses a DOC just like many manufacturers did. They claim no regens but on a DOC, it's always regening once it gets up to the required temps. That's why it's important to keep RPMs high or load the tractor so it gets the necessary exhaust temp.

Using a DPF, usually means more electronics tied into the engine, as they usually have a dosing injector before the DPF to help the regen process.

What Branson did in the new 2021 models, in order to keep the good ol'mechanically injected engines, was to use a DPF and a butterfly valve after the DPF, just like an exhaust brake on a truck. A data logger monitors the DPF and engine temps and decides when it should regen or not. If it decides to regen, it'll start closing the exhaust valve to increase the temps on the DPF.

This way, they will keep a mechanically injected engine with a standalone emissions system without having to convert to Common rail engines and all the electronics that come with it.

/ Curious about dependabilty #8  
I like the fact that the new diesels do not stink and smoke you out when working downwind of them.