Cutting down trees

/ Cutting down trees #1  

BXmark

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX2200
I want to remove a lot of junk trees I have growing in my wooded area. Most are locust with the sharp spines ( already have had 2 flats and I only have 5 hours on the new tractor) and Osage Orange. I cut down one large Osage tree and the stump sprouted dozens of new shoots that within weeks grew 5 feet tall. I have heard of "girdling" the trunk to kill the tree. One person suggested I try covering the stump with a heavy black garbage bag to block the light from any shoots. Any suggestions?

/ Cutting down trees #2  
I have never tried this. I've heard of drilling holes in the stump and filling the holes with round up. Sounds expensive to me.

Derek
18-29716-2120.gif

/ Cutting down trees #3  
Search for the word "slime" and get yourself some and those flats hopefully will not happen again. Don't ask how I know.

p.s. my most favorite hat in the whole world was yanked off of my head and thrown under my mower by a particularly evil and vindictive Locust tree. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif You have my sympathies.

/ Cutting down trees #4  
Or, instead of round-up (which works), fill the holes with gasoline. Have to repeat a few times, but will do the job. Have also heard of lighting them after the second dose, and thereafter--solves the 'what to do with the dead stump' question as well.

/ Cutting down trees #5  
I usually spray the top of the stump with Spray paint. It'll keep the suckers from sprouting and also aids in the visibility factor so you don't mow over em!