cutting torch

/ cutting torch #11  
I think for the limited amount of use you expect out of that cutting rig, i would just go with propane and a small oxy bottle. Youll get tired pretty quick of having the small act tank filled and with propane, if you run out, you can just rob the tank off the bbq grill, or run down to the local convience store and pick up a fresh bottle. And with propane, you only renting or buying one high dollar tank instead of two.

I agree. That is what I did and am happy with it. You do have to buy a propane tip but I think it was about $5. That way I only had to rent one bottle and here size don't matter. On my lease a bottle is a bottle. I can refill a larger bottle for just a little more than a small one, it pays to go big.

/ cutting torch
Thanks all for your advice, thoughts and suggestions. I had thought about using propane but didn't know all the particulars. I guess I've got some thinking to do about which direction I will go. I'll use your advice and check with a local supplier and get some info from them, and also find out what they can supply. I don't want to buy something that no one locally will service so I will purchase it through a local dealer instead of mail ordering one just because it is cheaper. Thanks again you've all been helpful.

/ cutting torch #13  
Thanks all for your advice, thoughts and suggestions. I had thought about using propane but didn't know all the particulars. I guess I've got some thinking to do about which direction I will go. I'll use your advice and check with a local supplier and get some info from them, and also find out what they can supply. I don't want to buy something that no one locally will service so I will purchase it through a local dealer instead of mail ordering one just because it is cheaper. Thanks again you've all been helpful.

The deal with the propane is you cant use it for welding, but for heating and cutting, from what I understand it can save a lot of money. Also no 1/7 rule about draw rates with propane. Since you have the welding base covered elsewhere, perhaps you should investigate getting a propane rig. They use different cutting tips, I don't know about the rosebuds if they are the same or not.. perhaps others can say.

/ cutting torch
Please forgive my ignorance but what is the 1/7 & 1/10 rule mentioned earlier?

/ cutting torch #15  
Please forgive my ignorance but what is the 1/7 & 1/10 rule mentioned earlier?

If I remember correctly, you cannot draw (cfm) more than 1/7 of the tank capacity (cf). If your tank is 70cf, you cannot draw more than 10cfm from it. I may have the units messed up however. Drawing too fast from a small tank will cause acetone to come from the tank.

/ cutting torch #16  
I bought one of those kits from Home Depot at least ten years ago, maybe a bit more. For my needs, it's been great. When the bottles run out, I just bring them in to the welding supply place and exchange them for full bottles. I think the cost for this is around $34 for both. I always change them both at the same time, even if there is a little left in one. It's not worth the time to try and use that little bit left and then make another trip. I can go a year without using them, and I can get into something where I'm refilling the bottles every week.

Eddie

/ cutting torch #17  
Over the years, I have bought several used cutting setup, each time they included the bottles. I dont need two bottles of everything so I took the bottles and traded them at my LWS for bottles i didnt have. I now own two sets of small oxy/acet bottles, 1 larger set, a large 75/25 argon and a large 100% argon. I still keep my eyes open for someone selling a old set of torches that come with sometimes half full or empty bottles. Last set of torches i bought came from an estate sale. Torches and gauges where harris, hoses where rotten, but i also got to half full bottles and a cart, all for $100. $50 for hoses and I was ready to cut. When the bottles where empty, I traded them for a full set at my LWS. My point is, if you take the time to look and have a little patience, you can find a good deal on used torch sets.

/ cutting torch
I found a used cutting/welding torch with medium sized bottles(1oxy. & 2 act) with cart. Actually the only thing used about it is the bottles, hose, and cart. The gauges, cutting/welding tips and goggles were new. All Victor. One act. bottle is empty but the others are nearly full. I'm not sure how good a deal I got on it but I,m satisfied. I gave $300 for it.