Cylinder only works one way

/ Cylinder only works one way #1  

nckennedy

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 5425
Hi Guys,
I am using a Shaver 8HD post pounder. It is mounted on the 3 pt. hitch of a JD 5425. The post pounder is operated by moving three cylinders each of witch is controlled by a valve with handle. Two of the cylinders work fine. However one of them does not resulting in the post ending up in the ground in most any position.
I assume there was air in the cylinder so bleed out one line but then discovered the second line (opposite end of the cylinder) didn't have any fluid coming out at all.
No wonder the H beam of the pounder was jumping all over the place.
So I checked the spring on the end of the valve control and it seemed to be ok, not broken. So now I am not sure what to do! Is the problem with the cylinder or the control valve? Any suggestions or ideas?
Craig

/ Cylinder only works one way #2  
If you are using QD's, reset them.

Remove the suspect cyl hose and see if fluid comes out valve work ports.

Last edited:
   / Cylinder only works one way
Hi JJ. I am not familiar with QD's. What does QD mean?
Craig

/ Cylinder only works one way #4  
J_J is referring to the quick detaches on the ends of the hyd. hoses. The couplers that disconnect the hoses from the tractor.

/ Cylinder only works one way #5  
   / Cylinder only works one way
Oh, ok. Got it.
However that is probably not the problem because the connections from the tractor go to set of valves on the post pounder to operate the three cylinders. Two of the cylinders seem to be working fine, just the one cylinder or valve is not working correctly. But I am not sure where the problem is cylinder or value control.

/ Cylinder only works one way #7  
Where do you have the big hose plumbed in from the lift valve? It has to be plumbed in the rear of the tractor,so the fluid can dump fast,to drop the beam.Put some pictures on here.

/ Cylinder only works one way #8  
Oh, ok. Got it.
However that is probably not the problem because the connections from the tractor go to set of valves on the post pounder to operate the three cylinders. Two of the cylinders seem to be working fine, just the one cylinder or valve is not working correctly. But I am not sure where the problem is cylinder or value control.

If your valve is working fine, then the cyl almost has to move.

What does your pressure gauge say.

Easy enough to check if fluid is getting to the cyl, just remove the work port hose.

You could switch hoses from one spool to another to verify bad spool or bad cyl.

/ Cylinder only works one way #9  
Does the hose going to the suspect cyl have QD's or normal fittings?

If it does have QD, that is a logical suspect.