D6 Dozer price

/ D6 Dozer price #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
My father in law in Missouri ran across a guy who has a D6 that he has spent quite a bit on during the last couple of years, replacing the engine, the tracks, etc. He says he will sell it for $8000. The D6 is probably 20 years old or older. Realizing there is probably a great disparity in prices, does this sound like a reasonable deal for an operational D6.

My father in law has 100 acres and wants to dig a tank and clear some trees.

/ D6 Dozer price #2  
If it starts, runs, and the hydraulics work, it is a very good price. However, you can count on repair costs if it is to be used very much, and they will be big!!!

/ D6 Dozer price #3  
Does this machine have a letter designation, e.g. D6C, D6D? It sounds too good to be true, unless it is an original D6 with a cable blade, pony motor, and direct drive tranny.

Get the serial number and call your local Cat dealer. They can tell you when the machine was built,, when it was bought, if your guy is the original owner, and any service THEY (the Cat dealer) have done to it.

My guess is, for $8000, you are looking at having to put a new undercarrige on it.

JT

/ D6 Dozer price #4  
If it has hydraulic blade versus cable blade,,,(did they even make a D-6 with cable blade?), the undercarriage has some time left on it, it steers and brakes to both sides, the trans and final drives are in good condition, the engine and hydraulic system are both in good condition,,,then it's a heck of a deal. Check this site for guys who can tell you more. Get the serial # so they know what you've got.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://216.162.108.58/>Antique Caterpiller Machinery Owners</A>

HTH,
Dave

/ D6 Dozer price #5  
I second the ACMOC link. Someone there can tell you anything about the tractor if you have a serial#. Depending on which D6 model your speaking of, Yes all were capable of mounting a cable blade up to the highdrive models. The first tractor designated D6 was the RD6 in 1935.

/ D6 Dozer price #6  
If it is just a D6 it could be more like 50 yrs. old
We had a 1956 D6 hyd. blade but had pony start.
It is nothing like D6C or D6D we have now.

/ D6 Dozer price #7  
IF THE ENGINE RUNS AND THE H.Y.D. WORKS, ITS A GREAT PRICE BUT U CAN STILL PLANE ON SPENDING ON REPAIRS
MAINLY THE TRACK FRAME AND UNDERCARRIGE.

/ D6 Dozer price #8  
Hey Alan,

It's way too good to be true. No way a 20 year old Cat is going to sell for $8,000. Even if it's a little D3, it aint going that cheap unless there's a reason. If it's like you said, buy it and I'll double your money and buy it off you for twice what you paid, then after I'm done with it I'll sell it for $30,000. Cause that's what a decent rebuilt, 20 year old D6 is worth.

I looked at a 1969 D7 that was pretty much wore out for $20,000.

A D6 is a where small dozers turn into big ones. It's gonna be too big to move by pickup truck and you'll have to get a semi. When something breaks, think very heavy, hard to get to and nobody willing to come out to work on it for you. In other words, be willing to fix it yourself.

Good luck,
Eddie