Oil & Fuel Deere 2720 - Obstruction before the suction filter - how to access the fuel tank

/ Deere 2720 - Obstruction before the suction filter - how to access the fuel tank #1  

nderh2o

Tractor
John Deere 2720
My 2010? 2720 only has 350 hours on it and is stalling persistently - will run for a couple hours and then starts to have issues. There are air bubbles visible in the suction side fuel filter (sediment filter/water separator)when running. I'm pretty certain I have either have an air leak up stream or the fuel line/suction off of the tank is restricted. I have done or are going to the following to troubleshoot:

1. took fuel line off of the filter assembly and let it drain from the tank into a container - only getting a trickle
2. checked the hose clamps for snugness - doesn't seem to be a problem
3. ran with the fuel cap loosened and no change
3. going to hook up an external tank to the suction filter and run to see if it still has bubbles sucking into the clear bowl

Assuming it is a debris/sediment issue at the tank, how can I access the tank where the hose connects? I started to take some of the console pieces off but stopped and put everything back and wanted to see if there was an easier way to do it.

Do I need to remove the tank to effectively drain the fuel? Can I screw a connection off of the bottom and do some mini-flushes?

I'm sure I will have more questions but if anyone can help with these, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

/ Deere 2720 - Obstruction before the suction filter - how to access the fuel tank #2  
On larger tractors John Deere places a strainer in the fitting that leaves tank where fuel hose attaches, if you have this setup it can get clogged with all kinds of trash mine had bio-diesel gel from old fuel on it. I did away with mine and placed an inline filter that I could see. See attached picture

Strainer Before 1 (Large).JPG

/ Deere 2720 - Obstruction before the suction filter - how to access the fuel tank
Yep. I read about that. I also just got done running the tractor with a fuel hose connected to the suction filter and dropped into a diesel can with fresh fuel. Ran fine with no stalling. Almost immediately after I connected the line from the installed tank and started, it began stalling again. So, I am pretty confident there is an obstruction at the tank or in the line. This happened once before and the dealer fixed it - they used fuel hose off the roll and not one that is designed for the 2720. I almost suspect that there may be a kink in the line that I can't see without removing the tank or opening up access to the bottom.

Now I just have to figure out the best way to get to the connection.

Last edited:
   / Deere 2720 - Obstruction before the suction filter - how to access the fuel tank #4  
I am not a diesel mechanic but I have been told that they put a little air pressure toward tank to see if it removes trash temporarily enough to determine that is the problem. This is what a diesel mechanic told my brother to try on his large truck tank and it was trash in tank which allowed truck to run for a while.

/ Deere 2720 - Obstruction before the suction filter - how to access the fuel tank
Gonna give that a try this weekend. Went to the dealer and talked to a tech. They said it was a 4 hour job to remove the tank. $400 in labor alone.