Deere 3 and 4 series cab models

/ Deere 3 and 4 series cab models #1  

KennedyDiesel

Veteran Member
I really enjoy my 3720 after 16-17 years of ownership now, but I really do think I want a cab. My biggest hang up is the stubby loader joystick and the amount of effort required and lack of feel. I sat in a new 3046R at dealer but there was not a loader attached. I'm not sure if that makes a difference in how the stick feels (my loader is pretty much always installed) but the effort was quite bad. The rockshaft lever on this particular unit was just plain stuck I mean I did not want to push hard enough to break it.

I checked out a 4066 and found the loader joystick to be manageable. Not quite as nice as my long stick open station, but not terrible like the 3046's seem to be. With my 3720 I can find the point where I can maintain level of the forks as I cycle up and down. The 4066 I could kind of do it and I'd think it may get better yet with some hours and practice.

I also am in the habit of moving my tractor by the hydro pedals when standing alongside. I see the 4066 has this feature in a control button on the fender. This seems nice as the door would make it difficult on a cab model.

Looking for pearls of wisdom from those that may share my opinions of the stick and may have experience and work arounds.

/ Deere 3 and 4 series cab models #2  
The cable operated loader controls do take some getting used to. I remember switching from my open station New Holland to the 4520. Took a little time to get used to the lack of feedback and the stiffness of the controls. Once you get used to them, not a big deal. I don't think they have change much of anything in the design of the cab since it was first released 20 year ago. I did see a video by Tractor Time with Tim that shows the new 4075 having electric over hydraulic controls for the rock shaft. That would be a nice improvement over the cable controls in mine.

The one thing I would recommend to anyone who has or is getting a cabbed John Deere 3 or 4 series compact is the right hand door kit from bolt on hooks.com. It is nice to have the door held open when mounting the loader or cleaning all the glass.

/ Deere 3 and 4 series cab models
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try to get out and demo some more. The 3046 did not have a loader so I assume the joystick works harder du to fluid pressures? My big problem is I don't do the frequent trade thing and with my luck they will revamp the controls shortly after I commit.

/ Deere 3 and 4 series cab models #4  
Not sure that I am the only one, but I think it sucks that John Deere can’t even put in a cheap gas cylinder on a 10k cab…. Can’t cost them but 10 bucks.

/ Deere 3 and 4 series cab models #5  
...I also am in the habit of moving my tractor by the hydro pedals when standing alongside. ...

Looking for pearls of wisdom...
My pearl of wisdom is stop doing that!

Related: The controls outside the JD cab work well for connecting to the 3ph and draw bar. The tractor "creeps" at a rather slow speed, which I'll bet is for safety and to limit legal liability. I find it useful.

/ Deere 3 and 4 series cab models #6  
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try to get out and demo some more. The 3046 did not have a loader so I assume the joystick works harder du to fluid pressures? My big problem is I don't do the frequent trade thing and with my luck they will revamp the controls shortly after I commit.
The pressure in a hydraulic system has no affect how stiff the control handles.
If it's cable operated, a drop of oil might help. Plus break in time.
Look into a self leveling loader. All the balancing won't be needed anymore. All you need to do is lift or lower. Nothing else. It's a few bucks more. But you said you're planning to keep it for a long time. You will like it.

/ Deere 3 and 4 series cab models #7  
Look into a self leveling loader. All the balancing won't be needed anymore. ---

Mechanical self-leveling loaders have some limits at extreme combinations of lift and curl. Being somewhat proficient with a loader, it bothered me some when first using it.

That said, I have grown to REALLY like my self-leveling loader. I seriously doubt I'd buy a loader without it.