Deleting Messages

/ Deleting Messages #1  

Harv

Elite Member
California - S.F. East Bay & Sierra foothills
Tractor
Kubota L2500DT Standard Transmission
Muhammad -

This recent blooming of picture signatures has reminded me of what appears to be a modification in the message-posting logic.

When I was doing my experiments, I would post a message, check out the results and then immediately delete it 'cuz I didn't want to clutter the board with my useless doodles. Latey, however, it seems when a message is deleted, it is only the content that is removed and the skeletal remains still linger as a "DELETED" message. This doesn't lessen the "clutter" at all.

I've learned in the past that you always have an irrefutably good reason for such modifications. Could you elaborate on this one?

HarvSig.gif

/ Deleting Messages #2  
Harv,

Yeah, a message can only be removed if there are no replies to it - otherwise the content is cleared, 'Post Deleted By" is added to the body, and *DELETED* is added to the subject line...

If there are no replies, you can remove them and they will vanish.

msig.gif

/ Deleting Messages
Muhammad -

That makes sense (as always).

I usually did my "foolin' around" in the wee hours, and included a "Please do not reply" message just in case.

I can see from a database perspective where a reply would suddenly make the message sort of integral to your chain of data.

Just once -- maybe you'd have to be drunk -- I'd like to see you do something that makes no sense. Then I'd know you were one of us. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Deleting Messages #4  
Wow, pressure to do something that makes no sense... I know you're watching now. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

msig.gif