Didn't Even Grunt

/ Didn't Even Grunt
Not so much structural as possible hydraulic cylinder failure. One of them lets go under pressure and you won't be questioning. The stress on them with this procedure is opposite for their design. My tractor company (Mahindra) stipulates to not even backfill with a completely rotated bucket because of cylinder stress.

If you mean backing up with the bucket vertical and buried in the mud is a no-no, I bent the pair of hyd shafts on a JD 152 loader on a JD 4020 doing that. The Bransons are different as they have an additional arm that lets the bucket tilt while the stress on the cylinders is inline....which the JD didn't have...lateral stresses were on the cylinder shaft.
-------
I guess I really didn't give it a second thought. I do realize that sucking vs blowing on a hyd cylinder is a different level of capacity, and never recall reading any kind of cautions on doing what I was doing and I have a 4 drawer file cabinet full of tractor manuals.

First of all I didn't want to put a tractor in the pond and most of the work area was quite narrow, as that's the way earthen dams are built and the soil was soft and the banks both sides were ⅓, about 30*. That was consideration # 1 and kept me pre-occupied. Both Bransons have wet brakes and brake levers like imported autos so you can depend on them holding when needed.....unlike the Ford systems.

On the problem pictured, I didn't have good access to the tree as I mentioned and didn't know that once I started pulling, the whole thing started moving out of the mud.....kind of had me mesmerized.

/ Didn't Even Grunt #33  
I attempted to lift the end of the log so that it wouldn't dig into the ground as it came up the embankment before the ground leveled off where I was but the only thing that happened was that the front end of the tractor started squatting and with all going on, didn't want to break something in the front axle.

I don't know the grade of the chain. My 2400 elongated the links and broke ⅛ or 3/16" chain didn't measure had just bought it from the hardware store, pulling logs out of the water.

Pull was straight line and the tractor was on level ground....just before it broke to the slope of the pond bank where dug. The rears were full of ballast and the tractor weighs about 6k#.

I don't have any chain smaller than 5/16". I don't have any chain less than 70 grade.

I carry 3/8" grade 70 in the road grader. It weighs 40,000 lbs. I've not stretched it.

/ Didn't Even Grunt #34  
For those saying dont use the creep gear, what should the creep gear be used for?

Creep gears are designed to offer the gear drive tractor substantially slower ground speeds for ground engagement work such as a Rototiller.

/ Didn't Even Grunt #35  
Creep gears are designed to offer the gear drive tractor substantially slower ground speeds for ground engagement work such as a Rototiller.

In regards to a tiller......if it got hung up on something would you still stand the chance of tearing things up?

/ Didn't Even Grunt #36  
In regards to a tiller......if it got hung up on something would you still stand the chance of tearing things up?

Of course. Regardless of what gear you were in.

/ Didn't Even Grunt #37  
For those saying dont use the creep gear, what should the creep gear be used for?

The creep gear is used for tractor work that is done with very low speeds, like planting sweet potatoes and water melons, harvesting sweet corn or sweet potatoes, but when no heavy pulling is involved.

The speed for harvesting sweet potatoes is less than half a mile per hour, some times as slow as the tractor will go. Low gear in creep with dual speed in low and engine rpm only 800 rpm!. This is SLOW, and the engine does not grunt, not even when the digger gets stuck with 6000 lb potatoes on it.
If you get stuck than you shift out of creep to normal low gear to try to get out.

Stuck in low gear dies the engine, stuck in creep gear risks something in the drive train.

/ Didn't Even Grunt #38  
The creep gear is used for tractor work that is done with very low speeds, like planting sweet potatoes and water melons, harvesting sweet corn or sweet potatoes, but when no heavy pulling is involved.

The speed for harvesting sweet potatoes is less than half a mile per hour, some times as slow as the tractor will go. Low gear in creep with dual speed in low and engine rpm only 800 rpm!. This is SLOW, and the engine does not grunt, not even when the digger gets stuck with 6000 lb potatoes on it.
If you get stuck than you shift out of creep to normal low gear to try to get out.

Stuck in low gear dies the engine, stuck in creep gear risks something in the drive train.

Good stuff.

/ Didn't Even Grunt #39  
If you mean backing up with the bucket vertical and buried in the mud is a no-no, I bent the pair of hyd shafts on a JD 152 loader on a JD 4020 doing that. The Bransons are different as they have an additional arm that lets the bucket tilt while the stress on the cylinders is inline....which the JD didn't have...lateral stresses were on the cylinder shaft.
-------
I guess I really didn't give it a second thought. I do realize that sucking vs blowing on a hyd cylinder is a different level of capacity, and never recall reading any kind of cautions on doing what I was doing and I have a 4 drawer file cabinet full of tractor manuals.

First of all I didn't want to put a tractor in the pond and most of the work area was quite narrow, as that's the way earthen dams are built and the soil was soft and the banks both sides were ⅓, about 30*. That was consideration # 1 and kept me pre-occupied. Both Bransons have wet brakes and brake levers like imported autos so you can depend on them holding when needed.....unlike the Ford systems.

On the problem pictured, I didn't have good access to the tree as I mentioned and didn't know that once I started pulling, the whole thing started moving out of the mud.....kind of had me mesmerized.

Personally, I feel a person should do what they need to do. As a for instance, you'll find plenty of naysayers stating you should never pull from the 3 point for fear of roll-over. Now I witnessed a guy killed doing just that BUT he was on an old Aliis Chamlers literally yanking a hitch much too large for the tractor. The decedent was a 54 year old man who hired us to log his 100 acre lot. There were 4 of our crew there on that day. Two on the landing, a cutter and me coming up on the landing completing a turn with the skidder.
Both guys on the landing told him not to take off with the stems attached to his tractor with one of those being an 18 year old. Even being told this before hand by a couple of experienced people, didn't make a wit of difference to this individual who had been logging this way for quite some time. Only he apparently didn't quite log in the same fashion as he showed us on that day. Don't know what was in his head. Perhaps he needed to show off it front of the logging crew that was on his property but there was a detail involved on that fateful day that was not common place to him.. He went over in a shot and snapped his neck.

I've been doing the same thing for 40 years only I do not yank a hitch. My tractor is weighted in the front with a fel. My hitches are of reasonable size and the 3 point lifting affords cleaner stems and better traction. Not once has my front end come off the ground.
The devil is in the details and advice is a generality without the devil.

Last edited:
   / Didn't Even Grunt #40  
Personally, I feel a person should do what they need to do. As a for instance, you'll find plenty of naysayers stating you should never pull from the 3 point for fear of roll-over. Now I witnessed a guy killed doing just that BUT he was on an old Aliis Chamlers literally yanking a hitch much too large for the tractor. The decedent was a 54 year old man who hired us to log his 100 acre lot. There were 4 of our crew there on that day. Two on the landing, a cutter and me coming up on the landing completing a turn with the skidder.
Both guys on the landing told him not to take off with the stems attached to his tractor with one of those being an 18 year old. Even being told this before hand by a couple of experienced people, didn't make a wit of difference to this individual who had been logging this way for quite some time. Only he apparently didn't quite log in the same fashion as he showed us on that day. Don't know what was in his head. Perhaps he needed to show off it front of the logging crew that was on his property but there was a detail involved on that fateful day that was not common place to him.. He went over in a shot and snapped his neck.

I've been doing the same thing for 40 years only I do not yank a hitch. My tractor is weighted in the front with a fel. My hitches are of reasonable size and the 3 point lifting affords cleaner stems and better traction. Not once has my front end come off the ground.
The devil is in the details and advice is a generality without the devil.

Good post.

I grew up operating small Ford tractors. Started driving one at 7. Dad taught us how to use the 3pt and use it safely. I've pulled a lot with the front tires off the ground.