Diesel Exhaust - Muffler Question?

/ Diesel Exhaust - Muffler Question? #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
Reconfiguring the exhaust on a wood chipper I'm restoring, what size muffler should I use for a 70HP JD non-turbo engine for the best results? Shorter and fatter or longer and thinner? e.g. 8" by 12" or 4" by 16"

/ Diesel Exhaust - Muffler Question?
120 views and no opinions? Maybe I was not clear with my question. With no muffler this engine is very loud, I would like to quiet it down allot but have a limited amount of space to work with. Staying away from acoustic engineering what size of round (straight through) muffler will provide the most effective noise reduction. Short and fat, long and thin or long and fat? My guess is the more surface area results in more sound reduction but I have no idea if this is actually the case. Appreciate your input.

/ Diesel Exhaust - Muffler Question? #3  
OK, I'll bite.
I'd say a cheap 'red bullet' fiberglass long and narrow (cheap) would do the trick and be most 'cost effective'. Been there done that!

/ Diesel Exhaust - Muffler Question? #4  
a suggestion is a bit difficult as you indicate a limited amount of space but dont specify if the limited space is more suited to a short or long muffler. Maybe a bit more info would generate a bit more suggestions. Having said that, you have a wood chipper, so my thought would be to not have a lot of hot muffler to get in the way of hands, arms heads, etc, so go as short and fat as possible.
Another suggestion would be to look at new wood chippers and see what their engineers decided on, long or short, skinny or fat, and use that as your guide. no sense reinventing the wheel, use the engineering already out there.

my $0.02, your mileage may vary.

/ Diesel Exhaust - Muffler Question?
Appreciate those of you responded. Decided to use the old exhaust manifold and a vertical muffler, it keeps me from having to cut a new hole in the engine compartment cover, or using two 90-degree bends and allows the use of a larger muffler. Going with 7" diameter x 16" long straight through muffler which is roughly the same size as spec'd for this size engine.

/ Diesel Exhaust - Muffler Question? #7  
I didn't understand the original question regarding "best results". I thought you were asking about engine performance, not sound reduction. With all the noise an operating chipper makes, why worry about some engine noise?

The horizontal factory muffler on my Ford 1210 was very worn out and I couldn't find a replacement. A trip to Advance Auto for a short Cherry Bomb and then to the weld shop fixed it for cheap. The sound is louder than the factory muffler, but not offensive.