Diesel Fuel or Kerosene?

/ Diesel Fuel or Kerosene? #1  

cartod

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4066, 1023
How can I tell the difference by looking at it? I have this old kerosene 5 gal. jug that I vaguely remember putting diesel in it a few years ago. How can I be sure it's not kerosene. The fuel looks greenish in color. Thanks.

/ Diesel Fuel or Kerosene? #2  
I'd just put a tag on it that says ' parts cleaning fluid ' and set it aside.... [ :) ] Both diesel and kerosene are great for cleaning up greasy stuff.... and why take the chance of ruining something expensive with something that is questionable... Both can be used to start brush piles on fire, too.....

/ Diesel Fuel or Kerosene? #3  
In my area pump diesel has a greenish color. #2 home heating fuel (diesel) has a reddish dye.

Kerosene is either clear or some have a pinkish/red dye added.

/ Diesel Fuel or Kerosene? #4  
K1 is clear

/ Diesel Fuel or Kerosene? #5  
greenish tint means its most likely on road diesel. Kerosene from a local pump is dark red around here.

/ Diesel Fuel or Kerosene? #6  
If in doubt, you could always use a mix. Maybe 50/50 with Diesel.

Winter diesel fuel in the Great White North always contains a large percentage of Kerosene.

/ Diesel Fuel or Kerosene? #7  
I'd just put a tag on it that says ' parts cleaning fluid ' and set it aside.... [ :) ] Both diesel and kerosene are great for cleaning up greasy stuff.... and why take the chance of ruining something expensive with something that is questionable... Both can be used to start brush piles on fire, too.....

I like Jerry's idea.

/ Diesel Fuel or Kerosene? #8  
I was under the ASSumption kerosene was a very clean #1 diesel......am I mistaken?

/ Diesel Fuel or Kerosene? #9  
If you have oil fired heat, just dump it in the tank and forget about it.....

/ Diesel Fuel or Kerosene? #10  
There are always those people that run a veggie oil/fuel mix that would love to get some free fuel to mix with their veggie oil.