Diesel fuel treatment

/ Diesel fuel treatment #21  
I use Power Service white bottle any time the weather is going to drop below freezing. Any time the weather is going to drop below 0F I add another dose (as per the bottle). I do this in my truck and the tractor. For the rest of the year I use Power Service gray bottle in the tractor and nothing in the truck. The truck gets road fuel, the tractor HHO. I like to add some lubricity to the tractor in case the HHO isn't up to snuff.

I also keep a red bottle of 911 on hand...mostly for my buddies :).

ac

/ Diesel fuel treatment #23  
Confusing at best. No where on the bottle does it say it is beneficial to use it year round. Only that it is "intended for use ONLY during cold winter months...". The word "only" is what bothers me. Other brands encourage use year round in their instructions, and do a great job with preventing gel, so I know I can benefit from using one treatment and can carry over tanks from winter to summer if needed and still have it treated accordingly. To each their own.
But to add, I am not bashing PS. As I said above, I changed to another brand for most use because I treat my fuel nearly year round. Occasionally in the winter, when my tank is close to empty, I run a small batch of the PS treated fuel. I think all brands have their unique strengths and maybe it helps in some way to mix things up a bit. But for year round convenience PS is not my preference.

As for the OP question about Sea Foam, I've never used that in diesels. I use it in small engines once in a while, and it has helped clear things up.

would you feel better if it said "intended for use ONLY during cold winter months..." BUT can be used year round? Power service also sells their gray bottle selling two products is better than one from a marketing perspective. it works on me i run the white bottle in the winter, gray bottle in the summer, the concentrated formula in the bulk diesel tank, and 2 stroke oil all year round

/ Diesel fuel treatment #24  
would you feel better if it said "intended for use ONLY during cold winter months..." BUT can be used year round? Power service also sells their gray bottle selling two products is better than one from a marketing perspective. it works on me i run the white bottle in the winter, gray bottle in the summer, the concentrated formula in the bulk diesel tank, and 2 stroke oil all year round

Yeah I know, it can be used any time of year, but intended to be used only when temps are below 30. I misspoke in my post earlier when I said "they now warn to only use it in cold months". What they say is it is "intended for use only in temps below 30". I know it is safe to use anytime, but not the best treatment for warmer months. That was my point above, about not being convenient to switch treatments fall and spring. Could be done, sure. I've done it. But it is much easier to use one treatment year round for me.

/ Diesel fuel treatment #25  
Anyone ever try seafoam in diesel fuel tractor? Do you put it in fuel filter or just add to tank?

I use SeaFoam in everything, including my BX. A few weeks ago the tractor was loosing power while pushing snow, already had a little SF in the fuel. I added more, ran it for a minute... problem solved.

/ Diesel fuel treatment #26  
I have used Seafoam in all of my gas engines for years and is good for that purpose. In 15 years of having gas small engines, I have never had a fuel related issue when using it as directed.

But it will never go near my diesels. Any additive with alcohol (Seafoam has alcohol) is strictly forbidden by GM in the duramax diesels because it mixes the water in with the fuel instead of separating it like most diesel additives and allowing the filter's water separated to do its job. The only exception to alcohol in the diesel fuel is for a 911 treatment used only when gelled. Mixing the water in the fuel with a low pressure gas injector is fine. Water mixed in the fuel wreaks havoc on high pressure diesel injectors.

I won't even comment on whether your diesel runs any better or not with Seafoam. It may. It doesn't matter to me. It is simply the wrong additive to use in diesel fuel. There are many better ones to use in a diesel.

/ Diesel fuel treatment #27  
Anyone ever try seafoam in diesel fuel tractor? Do you put it in fuel filter or just add to tank?

Are you having an issue with your fuel or trying to be pro-active?

Seafoam, also known as snake oil. Is only IPA, naphtha gasoline and baby oil/mineral oil.
Save your money and run #1 dewaxed diesel in the winter. Dose it with a little IPA to absorb the water.

I wouldn't go that far calling Seafoam snake oil, it has proven it self. There are several threads discussing Seafoam in the Oil, Fuel & Lubricants forum.

I simply run winter blend off-road diesel from the pump. So far, no issues.

/ Diesel fuel treatment #28  
I used to fool with the additives years ago. Power service, howes, stanadyne, etc. Over time I just quit using them. I have seven things with Diesel engines and often am using 2-300 gallons of diesel a week and have not noticed any difference since stopping using them.