Backhoe diesel running funny 4500

/ diesel running funny 4500 #1  

berky

Tractor
ford 4500, 555B
:confused:
Have an older 4500 TLB. Been using it alot lately and some kind of problem developed with running. It usually happens when motor is heavily loaded
and I can sense that the motor is beginning to run unevenly. There is a real quick spike in the RPMs (usually pick up 100-300 rpm) and if I don't take the load off it will just just die. At that point it will not restart. If I let it sit for 5 minutes and bleed the injectors it will then usually restart after about 15-30 seconds of cranking. If I can catch it earily in these fits, take the load off, and quickly increase the rpms, I can usually save it from dying. Have to then let it sit and run for maybe 30-45 seconds before the motor rpm's become stable. If I am just idling around of letting it sit while running there is no sign of any problems.
Rebuit injector pump about 6 months ago and it has been working fine, but that what it sounds like to me. Anyone have any ideas????

/ diesel running funny 4500 #2  
:confused:
Have an older 4500 TLB. Been using it alot lately and some kind of problem developed with running. It usually happens when motor is heavily loaded
and I can sense that the motor is beginning to run unevenly. There is a real quick spike in the RPMs (usually pick up 100-300 rpm) and if I don't take the load off it will just just die. At that point it will not restart. If I let it sit for 5 minutes and bleed the injectors it will then usually restart after about 15-30 seconds of cranking. If I can catch it earily in these fits, take the load off, and quickly increase the rpms, I can usually save it from dying. Have to then let it sit and run for maybe 30-45 seconds before the motor rpm's become stable. If I am just idling around of letting it sit while running there is no sign of any problems.
Rebuit injector pump about 6 months ago and it has been working fine, but that what it sounds like to me. Anyone have any ideas????

Since the problem is occurring at high power operations and you can't restart it, I'd suspect restricted fuel delivery. Start at the tank and make sure the tank strainer isn't clogged, no pinched fuel lines filter housing and filter clean and fuel line to pump not obstructed.

/ diesel running funny 4500 #3  
Since the problem is occurring at high power operations and you can't restart it, I'd suspect restricted fuel delivery. Start at the tank and make sure the tank strainer isn't clogged, no pinched fuel lines filter housing and filter clean and fuel line to pump not obstructed.

No doubt. Classic fuel starvation symptoms. Skip the part about checking the filter and simply replace it.

/ diesel running funny 4500
Thanks to all who offerred assistance. :thumbsup: I didn't think it was the filters because it is a double filter that only have 75 hours on them. Took the line off the tank fitting and there was very little fllow. Had just filled the tank with fuel and didn't want to take untold hours for it to drain at a drip. Ended up blowing some air back through the tank valve and the flow started at a great pace. Got it running and the problem disappeared. Guess I got one or several loads of dirty fuel that evidently plugged the tank strainer. As soons as I burn some of this fuel or if the problem starts again, I plan to drain the tank and clean the strainer.