Oil & Fuel Diesel Warm Up Time

/ Diesel Warm Up Time #1  

Usta

Gold Member
Tractor
2008 Kubota BX2660
My new BX2660 has about 4 hours on it. I have noticed that it does not want to move/travel much at all (bogs down and stalls) until the engine is warmed up. The typical air temp when starting has been about 20 degrees F. It runs great after the engine warms up after about 3 to 4 minutes.
Is this normal? I have used large CAT loaders and Tractor Trailers, but I am new with running small diesel engines (26HP)

/ Diesel Warm Up Time #2  
My new BX2660 has about 4 hours on it. I have noticed that it does not want to move/travel much at all (bogs down and stalls) until the engine is warmed up. The typical air temp when starting has been about 20 degrees F. It runs great after the engine warms up after about 3 to 4 minutes.
Is this normal? I have used large CAT loaders and Tractor Trailers, but I am new with running small diesel engines (26HP)

First of all let me wecome you to TBN and we always enjoy new members. The HST oil has to warm up before it operates as normal. Its that way with my L4400HST as well.

/ Diesel Warm Up Time
Thanks for reassurance and reinforcing me quess that is was a cold stiff transmission. The engine is smooth and the FEL works good. It is only the forward/reverse that bogs the engine. I will just be patient and let it warm up.

/ Diesel Warm Up Time #4  
I let mine warm up from 5 to 20 minutes depending on temp. Usually on the longer side.

/ Diesel Warm Up Time #5  
Thanks for reassurance and reinforcing me quess that is was a cold stiff transmission. The engine is smooth and the FEL works good. It is only the forward/reverse that bogs the engine. I will just be patient and let it warm up.

I wouldnt have known what the problem was when I experienced the drag on the engine but I read about it on (you guessed it) TBN.

/ Diesel Warm Up Time #6  
I let my tractor warm up for about 10min at 10-20F. I do that even after the block heater was plugged in for about an hour or so. In the owner's manual the recommended warm up is about 10-15min at 1300-1500rpm. As the temperature goes lower I leave the heater on for 15-30 min longer and follow the same warm up. You should not do any work until it warms up properly.

/ Diesel Warm Up Time #7  
Greetings,
generally if you use low to medium throttle and operate in the low to medium gear range for the first 10 minutes it is much happier with you when it is below freezing. I have a 3030HSDC and if I get careless when I first start and try to move it in "High" range it will attempt to stall. However operating in mid to low range has had no issues with loading down the engine with cold hydo fluid. another little trick I have done is put the gear selector in neutral and once the tractor runs smoothly I push down all the way on the forward pedal with the HST pedal and that gets the fluid circulating without any load on the cold engine. this has worked well when it is around 10 degrees or so. Hope this helps.
Jeff

/ Diesel Warm Up Time #8  
At 70 or warmer I don't warm up more than 30 seconds. At 30 degrees 2 min or so. At 20 a few min. At 0 degrees 3 or 4 min. Below 0 5 min. Synthetic may help. When it's cold I take it easy for an extra min. or so.

/ Diesel Warm Up Time #10  
I test drove a GST and HST last week. We did not let them warm up much beyond 5-10 minutes. I just wanted to compare the concepts between the two, not necessarily see them in full action. It was pretty cold and windy and time was short. I could be a slight bog at first and then after a couple of minutes of slow maneuvers the tractors smoothed out. I don't have either style transmission on my current machine and it is a little sluggish until things are warmed up and I have moved all pistons for a "warm up." I also experience this on my KX121 when first moving in the cold.

Mike