Difficulty connecting hydraulic hoses

/ Difficulty connecting hydraulic hoses #1  

bobm6996

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5010 4WD HST Cab, Mahindra 2615 Gear, Scag Tiger Cat 48", Gravely 42" ZTR, EZ GO Gas Golf Cart
I went to hook up my grapple today and could not get the hoses to connect. I worked for close to an hour and the only way I finally got it done was disconnect the hydraulic line from the pump on the grapple. After I did that the male end nozzle point would push in, but was froze solid until I took this action. I unhooked both connections at the pump and got the hoses from the pump to connect to the hoses coming from the rear remotes.

I went to the rear remotes and unhooked to switch the hose connections from one port to the other and could easily connect one, but the other took several attempts and each time it would get almost in and then I would feel pressure pushing the hose back out.

What is the secret? If it matters this is on a 2014 Mahindra 5010 HST 4 WD.

/ Difficulty connecting hydraulic hoses #2  
Don't know if it will work but shut the engine off move the lever for that function back and forth a couple times then give it a whirl this may release the pressure for you.

/ Difficulty connecting hydraulic hoses #3  
Something was causing there to still be pressure on the hose. QC dont hook well under pressure.

Was the lid open on the grapple? Using gravity to cause pressure on the line? OR was it the tractor side under pressure?

/ Difficulty connecting hydraulic hoses #4  
I am going to assume a couple of things. I am assuming that you are power your grapple from the rear remotes. I am also assuming when you use the word pump you mean to use the word cylinder. There are few tips that will help you to make this an easier event next time. Tip one is after you shut the engine off, move the remote lever back and forth serval times through the neutral position to each of the fluid delivery positions this will make it sure that the grapple lid is settled down all that it can go. now unhook the quick disconnects if you have a male and a female quick-disconnect I often hook them together and take them a part a couple of times this helps puke out a little bit of the fluid. then I leave them connected together to help prevent dirt from entering the system. If the temperature rises after you unhook the grapple because of it sitting in the Sun and the pressure in the hoses will also rise this can make dis connection and connection difficult. but with some of the fluid missing in the grapple lines this can help alleviate that problem.again the key is to get everything settled on the ground so the mechanical forces do not pressurize the cylinder and the lines and also having a small deficit of fluid in the lines can help temperature rises from pressurizing the lines.

/ Difficulty connecting hydraulic hoses
Thanks for the tips. I did mean to use the word cylinder, not pump, brain farts happen often at my age it seems anymore. I did try shutting the engine off and moving the lever back and forth several times. But, I noticed one comment that I should make sure the grapple lid is closed and that I shut the tractor off and move the lever back and forth several times before unhooking, which I will try and remember to do next time it is taken off.

I leave the hoses running from the rear remotes that connect the grapple hooked into the rear remote ports on the rear of the tractor all the time, should they be unhooked if the grapple is not connected? The grapple has been sitting through the cold winter, not sure if that would have any impact on the problems I was having or not?

Bob

/ Difficulty connecting hydraulic hoses #7  
It is fine to leave the hoses from the rear remotes hooked up all the time. It is. No different than the closed off QD's of the remotes. Just that you have extended them to the front of your loader. Just don't apply fluid with your valve for a long period of time as the relief will kick in and you can hear the change in engine RPM. This is called dead heading. In the male ball ends of the QD's people have been known to put a clean grit free shop towel over then and whack them with a chunk of wood.

/ Difficulty connecting hydraulic hoses #8  
Yep, always make sure pressure is off the hose before unhooking, but still no guarantee. IE: if you unhook it with the hydraulics cold, and on a bitter cold day, tehn try to re-hook in the summer @90 degrees with the sun baking the black hydraulic parts, it could be difficult. So always try to unhook things when the hydraulics are good and warm. If the hydraulics are good and warm (150 degrees give or take), then unhooking in winter and rehooking in summer is no issue

/ Difficulty connecting hydraulic hoses #9  
Before You even get to residual pressure in the lines of tool or tractor I've had the lock collars froze solid from snow coming over the bucket. Some hot water from the tea kettle frees that up. then for the female ends on the tractor a piece of wooden dowel tapped in with a hammer lets any tractor side pressure squirt out. (wear gloves) .

/ Difficulty connecting hydraulic hoses #10  
Before You even get to residual pressure in the lines of tool or tractor I've had the lock collars froze solid from snow coming over the bucket. Some hot water from the tea kettle frees that up. then for the female ends on the tractor a piece of wooden dowel tapped in with a hammer lets any tractor side pressure squirt out. (wear gloves) .

Those frozen couplers are a nightmare to deal with. I have to use a map gas torch to get mine thawed out sometimes.