Digging out big rocks and moving them with BX24

/ Digging out big rocks and moving them with BX24 #1  

mswlogo

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320 DT (Gear)
It's my understanding it's not a good Idea to travel with a big rock in the Backhoe bucket/thumb.

So how do you move them, to another area?

Trying to pick up a big rock (after it's been dug out by backhoe thumb) with the FEL isn't that easy chasing it and can make a mess trying to get under it and scoop it. Maybe I'll get better with practice.

So I was thinking of getting a rugged 2 wheel, wheel barrel. Dump the rock in there then dump it in the FEL.

How do you guys do it?

/ Digging out big rocks and moving them with BX24 #2  
I don't have a backhoe but do move the odd rock. The smaller ones with the FEL. The larger ones may be shoved to the desired location or have a chain wrapped around them and drug to where I need them.

Getting the rocks into the FEL may be difficult at times.:D :D :D

/ Digging out big rocks and moving them with BX24 #3  
I find having a toothbar and using a chain with a chain hook on the bucket makes it a lot easier to pick up rocks. I've carried a few big rocks and stumps with the backhoe and it helps to have the loader bucket full to keep the front wheels on the ground.

Vic

/ Digging out big rocks and moving them with BX24 #4  
I'm trying to envisage a solution with a few long 2x8s on which the rock could be placed using the backhoe/thumb, near one end of the 2x8s. Then approach with the loader, such that the cutting edge slides under the end of the 2x8s. (They might have to be raised few inches at that end before the rock is placed on them.)

Dismount, lift the far end of the 2x8s where you have the advantage of leverage, encouraging the rock to slide down into the FEL.

I have no idea if this is practicable. If anyone gets a chance to test or refine it, please post a picture.

/ Digging out big rocks and moving them with BX24 #5  
mswlogo said:
Trying to pick up a big rock (after it's been dug out by backhoe thumb) with the FEL isn't that easy chasing it and can make a mess trying to get under it and scoop it. Maybe I'll get better with practice.

How do you guys do it?

Put a T-post or other metal stake in the ground behind the rock. If a big goofy rock, use two.

The rock won't move, you won't have to chase it, and you can focus on scooping it without making a mess of the ground. A flat wear bar or tooth bar seems to help.

I have moved a lot of rocks this way and it is the best thing I've come up with so far. (My cousin actually did it better by holding the stake instead of driving it in the ground. But he drank too much of my beer so I had to let him go.):D

/ Digging out big rocks and moving them with BX24 #6  
I've picked up a lot of large (1/4-3/4 ton) rocks off of a hard surface lately.

What I use is a short section of 4x4 fence post.
1 -I lift the nearest edge of the rock enough to fit the 4x4 under it just past the center of gravity
2- let the bucket down gently keeping the nearest edge of the rock in the bucket
3- move forward until the bucket hits the 4x4 or the COG is in the bucket (which ever comes first)
4- curl the bucket up to get the rock to slide _down_ into the back of the bucket.

Talon Dancer

/ Digging out big rocks and moving them with BX24 #7  
If you have chain hooks on the top of the bucket, you can loop a chain from the hook, over the top of the rock, and back to the hook. Usually when you tip the bucket back using this method the rock will slide into the bucket. I sure chased my share of rocks around the yard before I figured this out!

/ Digging out big rocks and moving them with BX24 #8  
I lower the BH boom a little, pinch the rock between the BH bucket & boom, raise the boom, and drive away.

ron