Disc Harrow Repair

/ Disc Harrow Repair #11  
It will in fact separate after a short while, but a quick shake mixes it up. I've used PB Blaster, Kroil, and many others, but this mix beats them all.

I now buy Acetone by the gallon, and ATF from Rural King in 2 gallon jugs, just to make sure I don't run out.

For those who haven't tried it. you do need to put it in a sealed application bottle. I use a dish detergent bottle, with a snap lid. I have a small one, and a large one, so it's easy to get in a tight spot.

If trying to get penetrate in a horizontal hole, like these zerk fittings are in. Clean the hole, then take a dab of grease on the end of your finger, and make a dam at least half way, filling in the hole, at the very end. put some liquid penetrate of choice in the hole, then screw the zerk in, hopefully without the penetrate running out. Put the grease gun on the zerk, and apply pressure. Most guns produce 10,000-12,000 psi. That pressure will force the liquid in, and push dirt/debris out. Some go easy, some take a lot of pressure. The only time that did not work, is when the grease hole in a bushing, had spun away from the hole. Otherwise, 100% success. Did this a lot on dozer's, when the bushings on the push arms, and angle pins would get worn, and fine dirt would get packed in. This worked very well in this application. An old mechanic showed me this years ago, when greasing the front end of a big truck, and the king pins would not take grease.

/ Disc Harrow Repair
TX Jim, Here are the Pix's of the other end plate and the housing.

End Washer and Nut.JPG

Disc Harrow Housing.JPG

/ Disc Harrow Repair #13  
Remove the 2 bolts in brg halves then seperate halves & clean rest/dirt. Lubricate parts & ressemble disk.

If you still desire to disassemble disk shaft which I'll advise against doing then follow these instructions. My eyesight isn't great but I think I see a thin piece of metal bent over square nut to lock nut in place. If I'm correct with aid of a cold chisel bend tab away from nut then loosen nut

/ Disc Harrow Repair
Yes, that's a 'lock plate' as such. No problem with heating that and flipping it out straight.

I am inclined to take your advice and simply grease, tighten up adjustment and re-install it. I'm afraid that if I actually do the job right, i.e. disassemble it, clean it, and re-assemble it I'll have a handful of ball bearings fall out. I really just wanted to clean it up, but ran into this dry gang problem. Couldn't resist trying to fix it, but I wasn't prepared to spend a pile of money on it.

Generally I'm not inclined to do a half-a** job on anything, but the value of this harrow is pretty low. I found one that went on auction on the internet for $121. And since correct manufactured parts are no longer available, mine will never be a collector item.

There's nothing like experience, and we have plenty on here with a bunch of that. Thanks again all, for the very good advice.

/ Disc Harrow Repair #15  
The disk shaft brgs have no ball brgs to fall out. No need to heat locking tab to straighten. I've straightened/locked several locking plate when they were as cold as my ex-wife's heart!! :laughing: If you free up brg halves to spool you will have no need to disassemble disk gangs.

Shown below is a photo of a similar JD disk with very similar white iron brg housing halves. These type brgs will last a very long time if greased on a regular schedule!! I drove a tractor in my youth pulling a plow with similar brg halves plowing many acres!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-27 081812.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-27 081812.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
   / Disc Harrow Repair
The disk shaft brgs have no ball brgs to fall out. No need to heat locking tab to straighten. I've straightened/locked several locking plate when they were as cold as my ex-wife's heart!! :laughing: If you free up brg halves to spool you will have no need to disassemble disk gangs.

Shown below is a photo of a similar JD disk with very similar white iron brg housing halves. These type brgs will last a very long time if greased on a regular schedule!! I drove a tractor in my youth pulling a plow with similar brg halves plowing many acres!!

Dang Texas Jim! Wish you'd have told me that 2 days ago :) I found that out yesterday when I decided that there was no way I would stick it back to together not fixed. Mine turned out to be made exactly as you described above.

I split the two halves, cleaned it up, drilled out and taped the two broken off zerk fittings. Put in new zerks, coated it down with molybdenum, packed it down with axle grease and buttoned it back up.

The original problem was obvious when I discovered that someone in the distant past had broken off both zerk fittings and just left it like that. It hadn't had grease added for a millenium it seems. Bone dry and no sign of grease at all, but fortunately it wasn't damaged.

So, I went ahead and cleaned up the other carrier, have it all ready to put it back on and do some discing. Of course, the rain is now setting in for the next couple of weeks...

Your help and encouragement is most appreciated. Being of the curious type, and being from Texas myself, thinking that I had been to every town in Texas in my 70 years there, I had to look up Coyote Flats. Coyote Flats! That's just past the middle of Nowhere, Texas!!! Population of 312 in the entire county. You sure don't have a problem with traffic grid. Nope - I had not been to every town... (Just joking with ya, but thanks again for the help.)

/ Disc Harrow Repair #17  
You're very welcome. I'm glad I could assist you.

I did state that 2 days ago BUT it ZOOMED over your head. If you will re-read the reply(#8) I made 2 days ago it states to remove the 2 bolts & seperate the two 1/2's. Your & my reading comprehension could use some HELP !!!:drink:

I'm glad you're making progress on your disk.

In 2010 my neighbors voted in Coyote Flats to keep town to North from getting them into it's ETJ. So far(???) CF has no city taxes or city ordinances BUT have discovered roads must be maintained & trash picked up. I live on a Farm to Market highway that was designed for 60 mph that the people think is a speedway(80+).

/ Disc Harrow Repair #18  
I did state that 2 days ago BUT it ZOOMED over your head. If you will re-read the reply(#8) I made 2 days ago it states to remove

Yeah, I think someone mentioned that way back in post #3 also...

/ Disc Harrow Repair
I did state that 2 days ago BUT it ZOOMED over your head. If you will re-read the reply(#8) I made 2 days ago it states to remove

Yeah, I think someone mentioned that way back in post #3 also...

yep, you both were right. It's that comprehension thing that got me.

I had preconceived notions that it was surely pretty much like a car axle with races, bearings, seals, etc.. And of course, I was dead wrong and you were dead right. Now I'm a believer!

/ Disc Harrow Repair #20  
Don't beat yourself up too bad. I've had more than several apart over the years. My Massey-Ferguson 22 disk has wooden bearings. Didn't have a clue, until I took it apart. That was long before major manufacturer's had online parts books you can see exploded views of things like that. In fact, it was long before the internet. What a great way to share info on things like this.

Now that you've done it, you've got experience, and can pass that info forward someday. Glad it worked out for you.