Disclosure of year of tractors

/ Disclosure of year of tractors #31  
I can't speak to tractors, but I can speak to other large agricultural equipment. My company began producing equipment last summer with intent to deliver to our dealers no later than this spring. This equipment (most of it made in 2009) is classified as 2010 model year. If a piece of equipment sits on a dealer's lot for 5 years before it is sold, it is STILL considered a 2010 model year product and will be sold that way (usually at a large discount). Incidentally, our serial tags list the model year separately.

/ Disclosure of year of tractors #32  
I am one who would like to know when the tractor was built. Would you rather have a tractor built in 2005 or built in late 2009 when you purchase it as a 2010 model? My tractors don't sit outside very often and are shedded. The 2005 model sitting on the lot for 5 years would have spent a lot more time outside than my tractors in 10 years of ownership. Paint fades, rubber deteriorates, tires weather check, battery is old, antifreeze and oils get old ect.

It seems kind of obvious, the dealer was trying to unload an older tractor he had sitting on the lot. I think you made the right choice in declining the deal. I have asked for the build date before and never had a refusal.

/ Disclosure of year of tractors #33  
I ran across the same thing when I went to buy a new Sunbeam Alpine Tiger in 1966 at the Chrysler /Plymouth dealer.the cars were being sold as 1966 1 was a 1964 the other was a 1965 1 had a Ford 260 v8 and the other had a 273 Chrysler V8 That was never made?.
I put a deposit on the Alpine with the 273 and they told me I could pick up the car on Thursday.
Comes the day to pick it up they told me there was a problem that they stole the parts on the Alpines to fix customers cars and that I would have to wait 2 weeks for parts,I asked for my deposit back and went down the street and bought a new Dodge Charger.
As much as I have looked they never made an Alpine with 273 Chrysler engine I should have bought it then, I would be rich now.

Yes, very interesting. Chrysler bought Sunbeam in the early 1960's and was furious that the factory continued to use Ford 260's. The sent some 273's over to England to determine if the 273's could be fitted. They were very difficult to fit to the Alpine so the idea was discontinued and Sunbeam continued to purchase small block Ford v8's much to Chryslers chagrin. You are very right about the value of the one you saw which was obviously a factory experimental model. Technically it was not a production model. Nothing wrong with buying the 1966 Charger, though, I have one in my garage and it was an awesome car for the time.

/ Disclosure of year of tractors #34  
The end result is maybe I got a leftover '08 tractor myself, but the manufacturer will start the warranty the day I bought it based on their coding of serial number. It is of NO advantage to me to buy a leftover 08' in '09 that has been sitting on the lot through all kinds of weather and sun damage. The buying dealer on trade in can then play the - 'well you bought an '08 model and it has xyz hours on it game'. Plus their tractor 'blue book' can depreciate that year down as if I owned the tractor for all the time it sat on the lot.

If things were the way we as consumers would like, the year of manufacture and year sold would be clearly stated and we would be told what the depreciated value is upfront and would benefit from the choice to buy leftover stock versus right off the factory floor stock with all its improvements, etc. (I know Dave in Maine would like that outcome;) )

I agree completely, that is the only way it would be fair to the consumer.