DIY Flail Riding Mower - Brainstorm

/ DIY Flail Riding Mower - Brainstorm #1  

jclaudii

Silver Member
Tractor
MF35, Kubota7040, Case885, Ford 1100
Please forgive me if this is not the correct section but I wanted it to have the best chance at a great discussion.

With all these new Zero-Turn mowers and ZT Mower start-ups, why has no one created a riding mower utilizing a flail setup instead of a rotary deck? Specifically, a hydraulically ran flail that can be mounted in front/in place of the wheels or in the center of the mower in its traditional location.

With all the talent on here from building sawmills, land planes, firewood processors, 3pt attachments, and re-purposing old stuff into new uses I have a hard time thinking we-all could not come up with something that is safe and can easily adapt to an existing style mower or go for a frame up job!

Well the first hurdle is engineering and creating a flail type system that won't kill or maim anyone. Machine shops and engineers create these types of things everyday as they are knowledgeable of the rotational forces and can easily model stress points to come up with material thickness, weld types, safety factors,etc. My thoughts were to just scale down an existing flail to fit the weight and width requirements of today's zero turn mowers. With the way the knife mounts are welded to the spindle shaft, bearings, deck material...is this even something that could be built safely? I see folks building brush cutters all the time, even some that run off hydraulics that are mounted to their bobcat/fel. I see a few models that are ride on and several walk behind 2 wheel types in other countries. Seems this would be a thing to try out here?

/ DIY Flail Riding Mower - Brainstorm #2  
With all these new Zero-Turn mowers and ZT Mower start-ups, why has no one created a riding mower utilizing a flail setup instead of a rotary deck? Specifically, a hydraulically ran flail that can be mounted in front/in place of the wheels or in the center of the mower in its traditional location.

Something like this old thing? :)

flail.jpg

High Ridge Tractor Parts

===========

More photos here:

What is a flail mower best used for? - General IH - Red Power Magazine Community

===========

I doubt a flail mower would replace a center deck on a riding mower due to low clearance issues. Out front was once more common than now, as the photos show.
Bruce

/ DIY Flail Riding Mower - Brainstorm #3  
Please forgive me if this is not the correct section but I wanted it to have the best chance at a great discussion.

With all the talent on here from building sawmills, land planes, firewood processors, 3pt attachments, and re-purposing old stuff into new uses I have a hard time thinking we-all could not come up with something that is safe and can easily adapt to an existing style mower or go for a frame up job!

Well the first hurdle is engineering and creating a flail type system that won't kill or maim anyone. Machine shops and engineers create these types of things everyday as they are knowledgeable of the rotational forces and can easily model stress points to come up with material thickness, weld types, safety factors,etc. My thoughts were to just scale down an existing flail to fit the weight and width requirements of today's zero turn mowers. With the way the knife mounts are welded to the spindle shaft, bearings, deck material...is this even something that could be built safely? I see folks building brush cutters all the time, even some that run off hydraulics that are mounted to their bobcat/fel. I see a few models that are ride on and several walk behind 2 wheel types in other countries. Seems this would be a thing to try out here?

Go for it. I would love to see one

/ DIY Flail Riding Mower - Brainstorm
Honestly I want one of these Robocutlargemain-300x171.jpg

I would if I knew I wouldn't kill myself or had access to some solidworks to know how think to make things to prevent death and my limbs being cut off.

/ DIY Flail Riding Mower - Brainstorm #5  
google keywords...
RC fail mower
or
remote control fail mower

you will come up with at least 20 different machines mostly manufactured. then knock off's of DIY'ers. errr maybe other way around to!

/ DIY Flail Riding Mower - Brainstorm #6  
A flail as a belly mower would need to be quite tall.

/ DIY Flail Riding Mower - Brainstorm #7  
I have never used a flail mower. I have seen them though. What are the advantages of a flail mower? They are used more like a bush hog than a finish cut mower correct?

/ DIY Flail Riding Mower - Brainstorm #8  
I have never used a flail mower. I have seen them though. What are the advantages of a flail mower? They are used more like a bush hog than a finish cut mower correct?

depends on type of scoops (errr small blades) placed on the drum of the fail mower. some blades due better / hold up better to large bigger diameter weeds and small saplings (small trees) other blade types err scoops will give a better finishing mower like cut.

a rotary cutter and finishing mowers. all have blades that spin parrallel to the ground. and can send rocks to small chunks of tree limbs flying (and can be deadly) have seen a few dents on house to cars to buildings from stuff flying out from a finishing mower to rotary cutter.

a fail mower. is kinda like a tiller for a garden. and can help keep keep stuff within and under the shielding and keep stuff from flying out. the con of fail mower... more material to make them. more labor to make them. a tad bit more complex over all.

i kinda wished they would make a variable speed PTO gear box. with interchangeable roller. so i could switch between tiller, fail mower, lawn roller, power rake, vibrating compaction drum, snow blower, reel mower, window row style hay rake.