DIY tyre studs

/ DIY tyre studs #1  

Aussiebushman

Gold Member
Jerrong, south of Oberon in NSW, Australia
Tractor
Ford 6000
Hi all,

At $1400 a tyre, I'm not able to replace the 24.1.26 (20" rims) on my Ford 6000. Has anyone successfully retro studded the rear tyres either with bonded or screw-type studs?

Cheers

Alan

/ DIY tyre studs
Yes and thank you. I did search the various forums but did not find that thread. In Australia, ice studs may not be available because there are not that many regions where ice is a problem, also due to really tight legislation in most states. Maybe I'll have to get them from the US.

Meanwhile, I have made up a heavy 6' plank with angle iron screwed on laterally at about 8" spaces and that will do to recover traction if a wheel spins, but it will be cumbersome having to unship it, get it under the wheel then put it away again. Better than getting stuck in mud or loose earth though.

Thanks again

Alan

/ DIY tyre studs #4  
You are very welcome. Did you notice that some use sheet metal scews (probably hex head) in lieu of studs? Less costly and readily available.

Cheers,
John

/ DIY tyre studs
Good thinking about the hex-head screws - I use them for roofing and they are probably available in stainless steel as well as zinc plated. The heads are not very big so maybe a piece of flat or box-section under the head would improve the grip. In fact, because the beast never goes onto bitumen, a piece of 3/8" steel roughly the same length and width as each rubber tread and drilled with three holes to take the roofing screws would be even better.

I sent an email to a US supplier of ice studs who advised they do not supply overseas orders! It must be wonderful to have all the business one needs.

Appreciate your comments - as always, one good idea invariably leads to another.

Cheers

Alan