DK45 won't crank

/ DK45 won't crank #1  

KJVT

Tractor
Kioti DK45
An intermittent starter issue has become permanent. Turn on the ignition, get a loud click at the solenoid. 12.6v at the battery and at the positive solenoid terminal at rest. Starter key turned all the way on, 12 v at the solenoid, 0 at the starter. Jump between the positive solenoid terminal and starter terminal, the starter turns but doesn't engage the flywheel. It seems like the solenoid is bad and the Bendix in the starter is locked up and I am looking at a new starter. I did try tapping the end of the starter, no joy. Am I missing something? The solenoid was clicking intermittently until yesterday, but the starter always engaged, and as long as the block heater was on for a while the tractor fired right up.

This aftermarket replacement starter is much more reasonably priced than OEM. Any reason not to order it (other than a miraculous rebirth of the existing)? PLGR Mando starter

/ DK45 won't crank #2  
It's very likely a re-man or a re-build. To which I say, "So what?"

A starter has one job, if it does it, that's all that matters.

I'm sure they'll want a core. Likely, anyway.

/ DK45 won't crank #3  
If you can find one I'd recommend trying a gear reduction starter they tend to crank the engine over faster then the direct drive units do.

/ DK45 won't crank #4  
If you have a starter - generator repair shop nearby they may be able to offer suggestions. My local shop was even able to source a replacement starter at a very good price. My Bendix had failed and the starter with Bendix was only about $50 more than just the Bendix. This was for a gray market Mitsubishi tractor.

/ DK45 won't crank #5  
I think sometimes they call themselves an armature repair shop. A starter is just another electric motor.

An independent auto repair shop would know where to find one

/ DK45 won't crank #6  
An intermittent starter issue has become permanent. Turn on the ignition, get a loud click at the solenoid. 12.6v at the battery and at the positive solenoid terminal at rest. Starter key turned all the way on, 12 v at the solenoid, 0 at the starter. Jump between the positive solenoid terminal and starter terminal, the starter turns but doesn't engage the flywheel. It seems like the solenoid is bad and the Bendix in the starter is locked up and I am looking at a new starter. I did try tapping the end of the starter, no joy. Am I missing something? The solenoid was clicking intermittently until yesterday, but the starter always engaged, and as long as the block heater was on for a while the tractor fired right up.

This aftermarket replacement starter is much more reasonably priced than OEM. Any reason not to order it (other than a miraculous rebirth of the existing)? PLGR Mando starter
In addition to whatever starter/solenoid issues you may have it seems your voltage readings are low. You may have a low or near dead battery that could have caused what is now a starting issue, at your starter motor /solenoid.
If/when you do get it started, check your static voltage at the battery posts before and after starting the engine. If you have less than 13.5 volts when running you should further test with a load like high beams on. Ideally 14.25 max output voltage when a load is on the battery. Anything 12 volts or lower is not acceptable.

And, since we don't know what year and # of hours on your DK; often the connections at the frame of the battery ground cable and the battery post connections will corrode. And other times the actual internal wires of the ground or positive battery cable will corrode, become defective inside the plastic jacketing. Look for corrosion at all these locations. Sometimes it's necessary to cut back a portion of the insulation to see the condition. Essentially, ALL connections from frame bolt to battery and down to starter need to be shiny clean for best flow of 'juice'.
Report back your findings and solution to initial issue.
TIA,

CM

Last edited: