Do I need steel valve stems to use windshield washer fluid for ballast?

/ Do I need steel valve stems to use windshield washer fluid for ballast? #1  

Tags

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX2360/ Kubota SVL90-2/ Kobelco 115SR/ Takeuchi TB260
After doing a bunch of reading I'm pretty sure I'm going to load our compact wheel loader tires with WWF for ballast but have not gotten a good answer on weather or not the rubber valve stems will hold up. Any info on that would be appreciated. I looked into rimguard and my local place wanted over $10.00/ gallon plus labor for a total of $700 and change for 50 gallons, not even close to reasonable IMHO.

/ Do I need steel valve stems to use windshield washer fluid for ballast? #2  
I put 39 gallons of WWF in each rear on mine for the same reason (Rimguard was too expensive including labor to install). I've never seen WWF affect the rubber hoses it goes through or the wiper blades so the rubber seal in the stem should be fine.

/ Do I need steel valve stems to use windshield washer fluid for ballast? #3  
After doing a bunch of reading I'm pretty sure I'm going to load our compact wheel loader tires with WWF for ballast but have not gotten a good answer on weather or not the rubber valve stems will hold up. Any info on that would be appreciated. I looked into rimguard and my local place wanted over $10.00/ gallon plus labor for a total of $700 and change for 50 gallons, not even close to reasonable IMHO.

I priced Rimguard at $4.25 per gallon, and a $75 per tire fill charge.
I needed 80 gallons, which, including tax, was quoted at $511.25, plus my having to make a round trip of 150 miles to the nearest Rimguard dealer (mileage cost ?).
I posted that cost on a different TBN thread, and caught a lot of heat about how it could not possibly be that expensive. It was suggested that I try other dealers. The closest is 150 miles round trip. It would make even less sense sense to drive 300 miles round trip to the next dealer.

I bought 80 gal. of WWF for $120 including tax, and put it in myself. Saved $391.25 + mileage.

/ Do I need steel valve stems to use windshield washer fluid for ballast? #4  
I've read by some posters that after a few years wwf or other items used can be an issue for standard valvevstems and that metal is preferred. Whether that is accurate or not I don't know.

Regarding Rim Guard costs. I've been quoted by a couple locations anywhere between 3.00 abd 4.00 a gallon plus labor for my scut tires. Now that would be different of course if they have to unmount tires etc. From the tractor as my price was just bring wheel/tire units in to them. Mine are 1 man work whike larger tractor tires are 2 man.

Anyway . . . Check with rimguard for a list of providers in your area. They'll send you a list of 4 to 6 and you can competitive compare.

P.S. Rimguard gives you about 30% more weight for the same space which means better volume efficiency for your investment and it is more freeze proof stabile. I personally think a good rv fluid is preferred over wwf - both for stability and temperature issues.

/ Do I need steel valve stems to use windshield washer fluid for ballast? #5  
why take the chance...change them. What's it cost $ 5.00 per tire?????.

/ Do I need steel valve stems to use windshield washer fluid for ballast? #6  

If you use tubes, as I do, there is no way to change valve stems.

/ Do I need steel valve stems to use windshield washer fluid for ballast?

Its not a cost thing at all, its more of a labor intense thing. To remove the tires and break the beads to install the stems and then re seat the tire beads may be a major pain in the rear, especially by myself. the tires arent going to have alot of sidewall flex. I may just roll the dice with the rubber valve stems. Thanks for the replies!