Do I upgrade? Am I upgrading?

/ Do I upgrade? Am I upgrading? #1  

lfalkenh

I currently have a GREAT 2007 Kubota M6040 4 Wheel drive Hydrostatic with FEL...I am looking into getting into the commercial hay business versus just doing work around the ranch...current tractor is a open cab and that will not work doing hay through the hot Texas summer...goal is to do about 3000-4000 round bales a summer...

Here is my question to you all...is it worth upgrading to a M8540 or a CASE JX80 cab? The Case is about 6K less and both will give me the same for the trade in (which is not much)...the Case looks a lot heavier than the Kubota even though they claim to be close to the same weight...the Kubota is about 10 hp more...my partner is going to drive the hay baler and I am going to be doing the raking and cutting...possibly use mine for square bales in the future...

Worried that buying a bigger tractor will also make chores around the ranch harder (120 acres)...

Thoughts?

/ Do I upgrade? Am I upgrading? #2  
Hey, Lee, let me know when you are open for business. I'm about 5 miles from you and am always looking for good hay, close in.

/ Do I upgrade? Am I upgrading? #3  
well if your gonna do hay with a tractor 70 hp is minimum if you want to get done in a timely manner & not overheat your tractor. If it was me then I'd be looking at an 80 to 90 hp 2wd used tractor with lower hrs, & keep the tractor you got or trade for a smaller one for around the ranch. Now if your only gonna do the raking then you dont need an 80 hp tractor. Your tractor with a cab would work well, or a used 60/65 hp tractor. Massey 283, IH 766 something like that. You can get these with good hrs for under 8 grand. Then if in a few yrs your business is doing good then upgrade to new or newer used.

/ Do I upgrade? Am I upgrading? #4  
I meant to touch on this. You dont need 4wd to bale hay. It has to be dry to bale anyhow. You can save a bunch of money going 2wd & used. JMO

/ Do I upgrade? Am I upgrading? #5  
OK, so you want a cab tractor for a commercial hay operation in Texas. I don't know about Texas but guys in my area (TN) are doing this type of work with ~100 hp 4wd cab tractors. Do you plan on a loader to pickup/move/stack/load large round bales?

I think the Case is a little heavier than the Kubota. I was surprised that you said the Case cost 6k less. How were the two machines configured? I know that Kubota has the LA1353 loader, which loader are you looking at on the Case and how does it compare.

/ Do I upgrade? Am I upgrading?
I will have to get back to you on the loader...have the paper work at home...

I was trying to buy one machine that I could use during the summer/fall for hay business and one during the winter for putting out my own hay...my property is quite hilly...in fact, some places it can be 75-100 ft height difference over a 1500 ft length...

I use the loader primarily for moving dirt/feed around the ranch...

Good idea on looking used...will definitely do that...may be a better deal while I figure this out...