Do you need to use M2C-134A exactly or will anything else work - Ford 1700

/ Do you need to use M2C-134A exactly or will anything else work - Ford 1700 #11  
I have not done a lot of research but Engine oil is different than hyd oil. I would not use SAE 10W30 non-diesel formulated. I use Rotella 15W40 Diesel oild for the engine and M2C-134 for the rest of the hyd system. I have used traveler or Mystik brand for years.

JC,

/ Do you need to use M2C-134A exactly or will anything else work - Ford 1700
Thank you, JC.

To further clarify, Tractor Supply has "Ford Tractor All Mineral 90 Transmission Fluid" but the people there said it doesn't say/mention "M2C-134". When I search the web for M2C-134, the first 'hit' that comes up is for "Premium Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid" at Tractor Supply...

Kinda gets confusing. Do I use the Premium Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid or the Ford Tractor All Mineral 90 Trans fluid? Or something else.

Thanks, and sorry if I'm missing something.

Jay

/ Do you need to use M2C-134A exactly or will anything else work - Ford 1700 #13  
Jay,

Throughout years TSC changed names for their oil. I had a local on my way Ford/New Holland and I bought theirs and then they changed the dealer ship. Ever since I bought TSC oil and what I always followed was M2C-134 and never had issues with hyd pump or any of the hyd lift (3-pt) system. Last time I change my entire oil was like 4 years go and had +250 hrs since then and the oil by inspection of dipstick looks pretty clean. For a year, during the construction of our home and before barn construction I had my tractor under a tarp and outdoors and got some moisture condensation in the oil as diffy reservoir is atmospherically vented. Later today I will check what exactly I used as I still have the container with some oil in the barn and will report.

JC

Jay,

Throughout years TSC changed names for their oil. I had a local on my way Ford/New Holland and I bought theirs and then they changed the dealer ship. Ever since I bought TSC oil and what I always followed was M2C-134 and never had issues with hyd pump or any of the hyd lift (3-pt) system. Last time I change my entire oil was like 4 years go and had +250 hrs since then and the oil by inspection of dipstick looks pretty clean. For a year, during the construction of our home and before barn construction I had my tractor under a tarp and outdoors and got some moisture condensation in the oil as diffy reservoir is atmospherically vented. Later today I will check what exactly I used as I still have the container with some oil in the barn and will report.

JC
Thank you SO much. For all the effort I'm about to go through changing all fluids, filters, even hydro lines ...want to make sure I get it right :)

/ Do you need to use M2C-134A exactly or will anything else work - Ford 1700 #15  
   / Do you need to use M2C-134A exactly or will anything else work - Ford 1700 #16  
Hi. I'm going back to do some Maintenance/Service on my wonderful 1983 Ford 1700 and find myself back to being curious about "Hydraulic System Oil" that the manual talks about. It certainly says I should get the M2C-134(x) ...which I am not finding, where the "x" is either A, B, C, D etc. and knowing they're backwards compatible. But the manual also says, "Should the recommended engine oil not be readily available, use a commercial oil as shown in the following chart" and that chart goes on to list SAE 10W30, 10W40 for Year Around. Or SAE 10W... and a few other options given the temperatures outside...

But my question/concern is: I am planning to do as much maintenance as possible - and going to work on the front differential, front axle, rear axle etc... So can I just put SAE 10W30 in all those places? Because it looks like the M2C-134A is what they say to use in them...?

Thanks. Hope i'm not being overly exacting here - just don't want to hurt my machine. Thanks!
It's been two years since you posted this message, but I'm going through the same thing with my own Ford 1700 that I just inherited -- wanting to do an end-to-end maintenance job. I ended up using Napa 80w90 for the hubs and front axle and Napa 10w30 in the engine and air filter, because I live where it's cold and use it for plowing. I'm not finding any information in the manual about what kind of oil to use for the fuel injection pump. Also, what did you end up using for the hydraulics/transmission/rear axle?

I do not remember at this point. I’ll try to find it - maybe it’s in this thread?

/ Do you need to use M2C-134A exactly or will anything else work - Ford 1700 #18  
It's been two years since you posted this message, but I'm going through the same thing with my own Ford 1700 that I just inherited -- wanting to do an end-to-end maintenance job. I ended up using Napa 80w90 for the hubs and front axle and Napa 10w30 in the engine and air filter, because I live where it's cold and use it for plowing. I'm not finding any information in the manual about what kind of oil to use for the fuel injection pump. Also, what did you end up using for the hydraulics/transmission/rear axle?

I think what you call 'Napa 10W30" is meant for gasoline engines, not suitable for Diesel.

Many oil options for Diesel engines - here is one of them:

Delo.png

/ Do you need to use M2C-134A exactly or will anything else work - Ford 1700 #19  
The injection pump uses the same oil as the engine. Make sure the motor oil is for diesels by the reference to CD, CE, CF, CG, etc.
SH, SJ, SK references gasoline engine oil ONLY. Most diesel oils will have both ratings.

The hyd/trans oil such as UDT would be what you want for the transmission and hydraulics especially for colder conditions.