Does a snowblower really need two shear pins?

/ Does a snowblower really need two shear pins? #1  

screamin400

Platinum Member
Tractor
2016 Mahindra 2538, 2016 Mahindra 2655, 2017 CaseIH 75C, 2021 CaseIH 110c., 2020 Kubota svl 65-2, 2022 Kubota svl 75-2
My Landpride 1064 snowblower has a pin in the driveline after the gearbox and one on the pto shaft. I have to replace the pto shaft and wondering if I really need to get a shaft with a shear pin? Much tougher to find locally. I have broken the other shear pin before but never the one on the pto shaft. I guess if one is good two is better? I have never seen anyone run two before? At my local tractor supply I can get a shaft in stock but with no shear pin. With a shear pin all I find is one at agrisupply that only takes 35 hp. I like the heavier Weasler brand at tractor supply better. It can take 54 hp which about the upper end for this blower. What to do?

/ Does a snowblower really need two shear pins?
Had a sr. moment there fellas. I sure do need two pins. The pto shaft shear pin does the fan. What the heck was I thinking.

/ Does a snowblower really need two shear pins? #3  
If you have a clutter free driveway (like no toys, tools etc) you don't need any at all, but that is dreaming.
Heck with right conditions even a chunk of ice can occasionally shear a pin.
You also need the shafts etc well lubricated as rusted augers on a tight shaft will over ride any shear pins.

I had a blower that found a discarded car part and that trashed the auger and blew the gear box wide open all because the auger was rust welded to its shaft. (bought that one used without knowing of the lack of lubrication issue)

/ Does a snowblower really need two shear pins?
Went to the local tractor dealer and purchased a new shaft and had them put my end on it. Should work great. I have a stone driveway so the chance of not picking one up is zero.