Does Barlow's have any wiggle room on their pricing?

/ Does Barlow's have any wiggle room on their pricing? #1  

bilrus61

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota 4200
I had them price a Kubota that is in the upper teens. Told them it was a cash buy with no financing. But I wondered if they still had some room to bargain as they might still give out a trading price on their first pricing in case the customer then threw a curveball with a trade. So does Barlow come down say another $250 or so or is that price non negotiable? No curveballs here.

/ Does Barlow's have any wiggle room on their pricing? #2  
I'm sure that John Thomas could better answer that question, as he does his best to singlehandedly keep Barlow's solvent. :laughing:
If it were me, I's simply tell Barlow's what you just stated here. Tell them of your intention not to pull any funny stuff midway through the deal and see what they say. Worst case scenario, the deal they offered is the deal. Best case, they'll shave some off. It can't hurt to ask if their figure is the bottom dollar.
I'm trying to negotiate a deal for my tractor right now. It would be a skid steer snow blower, new dump trailer and some cash. But I've been up front about telling them that I'm shopping prices on the exact same items elsewhere so that I don't get beat up on a deal. I expect them to be upfront with me. They get the same from me in return.

Last edited:
   / Does Barlow's have any wiggle room on their pricing? #3  
Go to the Kubota web site and use the "build my tractor" feature. It will let you pick out everything you want and give you the MSRP at the end. That will give you a good idea about how the dealer is pricing.

:2cents:

/ Does Barlow's have any wiggle room on their pricing? #4  
:) tHEY USUALLY GIVE THEIR BEST PRICE up front. If I've ever gotten up and left after Steve gave me a price, which has rarely happened, he never called me back or lowered the price. They usually give the best price to all considering everything.
If you can find it cheaper then I'm sure they want you to buy it from the cheaper dealer.
To say "cash" doesn't have any impact on them at all, they get the same amount for their till from Kubota whether paid with Cash, check, Money Order or Financed. The new tractors, mostly, belong to Kubota. Not so for used tractors which Barlows or customers may own which may be negotiated different, never bought a used one from them.
If you want to offer less then take your chances and do it but I can tell you from knowing him for a few years and several purchases I'd NEVER do it. which I'm sure some people would get their backs up over this but I'm just giving my experience and opinion.
OK bottom line, Do I think he builds in for a low ball offer and he can come back with somewhere in between? No, I do not think he does and again I'd never do it but that's just me.
He knows everyone is price shopping and will buy where they can get it cheapest and that's why Barlows sells so many all over the US.

/ Does Barlow's have any wiggle room on their pricing? #5  
I had them price a Kubota that is in the upper teens. Told them it was a cash buy with no financing. But I wondered if they still had some room to bargain as they might still give out a trading price on their first pricing in case the customer then threw a curveball with a trade. So does Barlow come down say another $250 or so or is that price non negotiable?
What did Brady or Steve say when you asked that?

ps
I don't know what you expect to get out of this thread.

Wrooster

/ Does Barlow's have any wiggle room on their pricing? #6  
What did Brady or Steve say when you asked that?

ps
I don't know what you expect to get out of this thread.

Wrooster

I don't think he did ask Barlow. Perhaps he should have done so instead of asking here.

/ Does Barlow's have any wiggle room on their pricing? #7  
I think the question here was OK. I think he was after experience other buyers had dealing with Barlows. Some businesses shoot a high price up front in order to get negotiations started and some don't, they just give the price to buy. If a trade is thrown in later which car traders like to do so they'll know exactly how much they are getting for their trade in. Barlows, I believe, gives their selling price up front and if you want to trade something in Barlows buys it and will give you the price they will give for the used trade in. It's really very straight forward with all figures known by both parties. They aren't big city shufflers where your hunting for the pea under which shell like some car lots like to do here and probably a lot of other places.

/ Does Barlow's have any wiggle room on their pricing? #8  
I went on Barlow's site to check it out, and because they do the "name your price" thing, I popped in a low offer on a tractor. I won't go into specifics, as its not fair to, but Barlows accepted with delivery to me! By the Kubota website, its 18.3% off the list price and that does not include delivery. My initial intention was just to get an idea of price, but the price is too good to pass up now. Now I need to convince SWMBO. Really there is no way I could find anything locally, new or used, regardless of brand, in that class of tractor for that price.

/ Does Barlow's have any wiggle room on their pricing? #9  
I had them price a Kubota that is in the upper teens. Told them it was a cash buy with no financing. But I wondered if they still had some room to bargain as they might still give out a trading price on their first pricing in case the customer then threw a curveball with a trade. So does Barlow come down say another $250 or so or is that price non negotiable? No curveballs here.

Greetings,

I think you're asking a "loaded question". Its loaded because negotiation is an art-form, not a science.

Lets say you're a really nice guy - humble, aware, you've done your homework and haven't required a ton of the dealer's time or salesperson's time coming back and forth and back and forth over a period of a months and maybe you are also buying some other options that add to the profit picture. That's a much much different situation than the guy who wants to hammer the price and kick the tires and control the sales process and dominate the dealerships time - - - - - and "win the negotiation". Negotiation is not a measurement of power or victory for one side - this is a measurement of what different kinds of customers cost the dealership. So sometimes the customer actually saves themselves money - because they haven't cost the dealership money in time, frustration, or bare-bones buying. Humility often is a rarity in negotiation skills. Not to mention that "tire kicking" I won philosophy usually is remembered - and a good vendor often times can fix future issues easier than a frustrated one :)

A second issue that makes the question so hard - is it depends on thedealer's stock level, inventory situation, and any spiff or bonus programs at the time. Terms like "cash deal" only have power with a vendor that isn't doing national financing plans - like used equipment or smaller accessory purchases - or if you can't qualify for financing. "Cash" for them is merely a measurement of time - not profit. But also recognize that sometimes a financed purchase assures repeat visits to the dealership for other future needs - and dealers like repeat business - even for small items :)

Lastly, if you put yourself in the dealers place for a moment - think what they measure when it comes down to any last second "dealing". If they give you another money discount at the very end - you'll run to websites like this one and tell everyone how readers can get even more discount - so then everyone tries it and the dealer is screwed. No - you saying you won't do it or wouldn't do it doesn't answer the issue - because the dealer has no means of measuring your integrity at the negotiation timeframe - because many people like to brag about their negotiating prowess later on and how they "beat the vendor". Once again - humility or a lack of it plays a part in all negotiations.

So let me suggest a whole different concept. What can you do for Barlows (or another dealer) instead of what can they do for you? Can you wear one of their baseball caps, or a sweater, or jacket - or maybe get two benefits by attaining a jacket for the wife to wear (benefit for Barlows and benefit for the wife/girlfriend). Now why am I mentioning this? Because customers too often want "something for nothing" and instead of negotiating for $250.00 or whatever - negotiate for a $50 or $100 or whatever jacket that the dealership gets some advertising benefit from. Understand . . . and I'm clearly stating this . . . . the dealership pays for those items - so they aren't "free" to the dealership - but . . . but . . . but if the dealership has their name on the item (as well as brand name too) - they get some value anyway and others see their name instead of the competitor's name (even when they sell the same brand) - - in other words - the dealer at least gets an advertising benefit of their store. And going back to my first answer - in this method you are demonstrating you really are a decent customer and not looking from a selfish perspective of what the dealer should give up. And - if you get a tractor - I think the wife or girlfriend should get something anyway - whether the dealer pays - or you pay :) :)

Catch U later

Last edited:
   / Does Barlow's have any wiggle room on their pricing? #10  
I think the wife or girlfriend should get something anyway - whether the dealer pays - or you pay :) :)

Easy with that AxleHub!