Does my trasnmission and rear end have engine oil in it?

/ Does my trasnmission and rear end have engine oil in it? #1  

plasticglock

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 261
1996 MF 261 tractor. The manual I bought/downloaded online indicates the same weight oil for the trans/rear as the engine. I thought it would have hydraulic oil? Can anyone confirm if I should or should not use engine oil for my trans/rear/pump?

/ Does my trasnmission and rear end have engine oil in it? #2  
The weight could well be the same. Hydraulic oils are typically 10w, 20w or something like 10w-40. However, my understanding is that the additives used in hydraulic oils are different, because of the longer time between changes and different operating conditions in the hydraulic system. I think I would stick with a hydraulic oil.

/ Does my trasnmission and rear end have engine oil in it? #3  
I'm still confused as well. Some time (I believe) in the 90s machines started calling for 10w30 for hydraulic oil. Like in a friends NH SS. His employee went and put in motor oil. Some of my machines call for it. But that can't be detergent motor oil, or? When I ask a service guy, they don't know. Just use 10w30 they say. I use JD low visc hyd oil in just about everything, so I have not had to find the proper answer. I'm sure someone here will answer this shortly.

/ Does my trasnmission and rear end have engine oil in it? #4  
Some dozers have used engine oil for every system (engine,trans,finals,hydraulics) for quite a few years. It's possible your tractor could be the same way.

/ Does my trasnmission and rear end have engine oil in it? #5  
Many of them , for decades have used the same hydraulic oil that runs the loader to run the transmission, both hydrostat and standard. That said there is really no option here for you . Call the dealer or look up the printed specifications before you get yourself into expensive trouble using generic advice.

/ Does my trasnmission and rear end have engine oil in it? #6  
I'm sure someone will have some guidance for your model as this forum has tons of knowledge.

/ Does my trasnmission and rear end have engine oil in it? #7  
It uses MF Permatran III