Buying Advice Done with hydrostatics

/ Done with hydrostatics #201  
Yeah, my 1983 IH (red) Cub Cadet 982 hydro is still going..............:thumbsup:

Is that the Eaton-Peerless/ Tecumseh Hydro?
If so seems several posters on this thread have them and have had virtually no problems even after 30 + years of use

/ Done with hydrostatics #202  
you are confusing the IH cub cadet with the new cub cadet, HUGE difference.. The IH cub cadet was basically a scaled down version of a full size tractor, and could used all the attachments of the full size in a scaled down version.. look at the model 107, which I had the privilege of working on, it was truly amazing.. IH cub cadets used heavy cast iron transmissions, nothing like today, not a K anything..
The 3000 series Cubs are/were as close as you are going to get from Cub Cadet in that size class. They have shaft driven transmission and attachments, diff lock, bolt on wheels and decent build quality.

Aaron Z

/ Done with hydrostatics #203  
Is that the Eaton-Peerless/ Tecumseh Hydro?
If so seems several posters on this thread have them and have had virtually no problems even after 30 + years of use

Shoot, I don't know. It has a spin-on filter, dual disc brakes, and the oil fill dip stick under the seat. I also have the HD 60" deck that I think Woods made for them.??? Also the snowblower.

982 cub cadet 003_1.JPG007_1.JPG

/ Done with hydrostatics #204  
Shoot, I don't know. It has a spin-on filter, dual disc brakes, and the oil fill dip stick under the seat. I also have the HD 60" deck that I think Woods made for them.??? Also the snowblower.

View attachment 586389View attachment 586390

Had to look the Cub Cadet 982 up ,
Wow that is quite a machine -a full sized cast iron rear end

found a quote that said to get a (new) machine of comparable build strength /quality it would be $10,000
definitely a keeper for sure -especially with those attachments

was not able to nail down who actually built the hydro unit

/ Done with hydrostatics #205  
you are confusing the IH cub cadet with the new cub cadet, HUGE difference.. The IH cub cadet was basically a scaled down version of a full size tractor, and could used all the attachments of the full size in a scaled down version.. look at the model 107, which I had the privilege of working on, it was truly amazing.. IH cub cadets used heavy cast iron transmissions, nothing like today, not a K anything.. ih cub cadet transmission - Google Search

I'm not confusing them with the IH Cub line at all - never even mentioned the IH Cubs. I simply stated how far up the line you have to go these days to get a decent transaxle. Also pointing out that there is some shenanigans afoot by the mower folks. Husqvarna, Deere and MTD all build mowers that look like garden tractors, but have the K46 or similar transmission. Those are probably even worse than less expensive mowers because they are running much larger wheels than the K46 was designed for and pushing a lot more weight. That can't end well. There is a reason those faux garden tractors often see horrendous reviews.

/ Done with hydrostatics #206  
Yeah, my 1983 IH (red) Cub Cadet 982 hydro is still going..............:thumbsup:

Didn't they also make a version of the 982 for Massey Ferguson? I think that is the one my father had at one time.