downloading files

/ downloading files #1  

rollbar

Bronze Member
Tractor
2005 4520 jd
I am not that computer literate so could someone tell me why it is when I try to download a file in some of the forums the
webb adress comes up and I punch to open ,then it shows the www earth icon tranfering the file to my computer but when it is finished I have nothing . Am I missing some hardware or program to receive these file? thanks anyone

/ downloading files #2  
I'm not sure by what method you are trying to download.. or what browser, or OS you are using.. but in windows variants.. I just right click on the file I want.. then choose 'save as' and then browse or supply my path.. after that I get the little file xfer/download status bar.. then the file is on my pc.. etc.

Give us a little more info about what you are doing.. and what software you are using..

Soundguy

/ downloading files
I am using yahoo as a search engine. I do not have a floppy disc feature. I guess it can be installed but did not come with this pc. it is a dell pc.with no frills. I thought I should be able to download onto my storage .I do have a cd rom. Don'tknow if this enough info for a diagnosis .thanks

/ downloading files #4  
Is there any way you can direct us to this file you are trying to download? That might help to see just what you are trying to do.

/ downloading files
I am trying to access the file in the safety forum about tractor accidents. the post number is 623260 ,subject: tractors can be very dangerous . I sure have got alot of precautions in this forum about simple things we do every day that can cause fatal accidents.these files show accidents relating to tractor mishaps. thanks for the imput.

/ downloading files #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I do not have a floppy disc feature )</font>

That's pretty common these days. If you need a floppy .. you can get one via usb. same with zip drives.. and flash drives.. etc.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I thought I should be able to download onto my storage )</font>

Well.. you can download to a folder on your hard drive....

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I do have a cd rom. Don'tknow if this enough info for a diagnosis .thanks )</font>

If your cdrom is a cdr.. then once you get the file downloaded to your hard drive, you can then burn the file onto a cdr.. but we need to help you get the file to your pc first. And no.. not really enough info to help you.

Try this.. right click on the file you are trying to download.. then click save as.. then choose your desktop for a location.. the file should be saved there..

After that.. go to the help section on your pc.. and run thru the windows tutorial to help familiarize yourself with your pc. Even an economy pc is still light years ahead of what was available when Al Gore invented the internet ( /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Soundguy

/ downloading files #7  
I would guess you are trying to download the PDF document. When you see it displayed, select FILE -> Save As.. from the Toolbar and remember what the location is where you are saving it.

When it's saved, it will be on your hard drive. I'm not sure what you expected after the save happened, but you should not expect anything to happen other than the file being written.

/ downloading files #8  
If the file was a .pdf, go to search, all files and folders and enter *.pdf and click search. You should find where the file went to if you know the name of the file.
John

/ downloading files #9  
If you are using Internet Explorer follow this:

1. Right Click on the link containing the PDF document. When the menu pops up choose Save Target As...

2. When the Save As window pops up click the arrow at the top for the Drop Down Box. Choose Desktop in the drop down menu.

3. Click Save. The file will now easily be seen on your desktop. No hunting needed. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ downloading files #10  
... and ....

4. If you didn't find Desktop in the dropdown menu, scroll up. Desktop will be at the top of the list.