DR field and brush mower

/ DR field and brush mower #1  

Hoobie

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota mx5100 Ford 641
Has anyone experience with the DR Field And Brush Mower? I do annual bush hog work but am looking at this for lighter work. It can be pulled with an ATV or SCUT. I am looking at Model Pro 44t.
It is claimed to be able to cut up to 3 inch brush. Is this a capable machine? Can it handle rough ground? Maintenance issues? Any help and advice is appreciated.

Hoobie

/ DR field and brush mower #2  
We have a DR Power Pro 26. This is a walk behind brush cutter. From a quality standpoint - good machine.

For our use on hills and on rough terrain, its tough to use. The steering is done by braking a wheel, letting the other one pull. But the independent diff gets it stuck with one wheel or the other spinning and you are not able to get it to pull itself out. Its not a light machine. Bulling it around takes a lot of work.

I know, you are talking about the towable unit. Our 15hp unit will not cut a 4" sapling as claimed. 1-1/2" maybe... 3" doubtful. For what we use it to do, it gets the job done but takes a bit to learn.

Maintenance has not been a big issue. We did get a stick caught in the throttle mechanism that bent the bracket, causing the governor to let the engine run away. After bending things back, I tried every trick I knew to adjust that governor and could not get it. Took it back to the dealer.

That's not maintenance.. that's borderline misuse.. pushing too hard in stuff its not really suited to cut. Still it has handled all we have thrown at it up 1-1/2" diameter.

Not sure what you can expect with the towable unit.

/ DR field and brush mower #3  
I check some videos on youtube and I'm impress.

/ DR field and brush mower #4  
I got walk behind unit back in 2001. Still going strong no issues. believe it or not still using original battery!. Machine is heavy, need some effort to operate. No, 3 in brush forget it, up to 2 is fine. I also purchased an attachment to replace blade for weed eater (heavy thick plastic lines). It's useful on my trails with rocks and roots-no blade would work there. Not sure on quality of current models. Good luck

/ DR field and brush mower #5  
I’d look into the Kunz Engineering mowers. They are better quality throughout. Also, when I’ve needed assistance, I call and talk to the guy who designed it and owns the company. 10 ga deck. 1/4” thick top plate. 27HP. Almost 600 pounds of mower.
IMG_0071.jpeg

/ DR field and brush mower #6  
I wouldn't expect the mower mentioned to be good on much more than real light brush. I've serviced some , always felt that the spindles were pretty light duty. Best advice would be to dig through their parts section and see what the meat and potatoes of thing are if you are considering brush type work. Otherwise for rough mowing, it should be AOK.

/ DR field and brush mower
Thanks for the replies. Gives me something to think about.

Hoobie