Draft Control

/ Draft Control #1  

OcalaPat

As you can see I'm rather new to the tractor thing. I have a Kubota L1002. Can someone explain to me what the draft control does and how to opperate it? Thanks so much
Pat

/ Draft Control #2  
Not sure of it myself :p, but here's the technical definition of it:

Draft control, while not essential, makes life a little easier when plowing, sub-soiling, or using other ground engaging implements.

A full explanation of draft control and other technical things like position control and response control are on this site also.

Johnson City Kubota

/ Draft Control #4  
My M7040 has draft control and it is of little use for me. My hope was that it would activate and allow a box scraper to raise and lower itself to come out with a perfectly flat pasture as I merrily drove along. It didn't seem to work very well with a box scraper because of the force of the dirt pulling everything, including the top link, to the rear.

The draft control is activated when the load below the lower arms is sufficient to apply forward force to the top link to push it toward the front of the tractor. Then a lever, where the top link is attached by a pin to the tractor, is rotated by the force and a mechanical link activates the hydraulics and raises the arms just as if you moved the lift lever yourself. The sensitivity can be adjusted from the operator's seat.

I used a crowbar to move the lever at the highest sensitivity setting and sure enough, the lower arms raised automatically. The key seems to be to use an implement that will catch in the ground, rotate, push in the top link, and then the result will be an automatic raising of the implement. It is supposed to go back down by itself when the load lessens. Theoretically it will continue the up and down adjustment as the soil and load changes to more or less resistive.

Apparently, there are draft systems that are activated by the lower arms but they are not familiar to me.

Last edited:
   / Draft Control
Thanks for all that everyone. The link was very helpful in understanding the opperation. Gwdixon, thanks for your explanation. I now understand enough to go out and play with it some and see if it is something that will help me. Right now all I'm doing is running the bush hog. When I use the box scraper I hope to get it to work as explained in the Johnson City Kubota link. Looks like a great site with a lot of info. Looks like I'll be up for a while tonight reading.:)