Draft Lever

/ Draft Lever #1  

8N_John

Silver Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N
What position should the draft lever be in on an 8N for various operations. Should it always be either up or down, or do the positions vary depending on the attachment?

/ Draft Lever #2  
Usually keep it "heavy" for most everything except ground engaging implements. That's fwd on most tractors, can't remember Ns.

/ Draft Lever #3  
IIRC, it depends on the task you are doing. One of the things I miss the most about by old 8N is that it has a real draft control. You can set the implement to whatever height you want and it will hold it there.

I am going from memory here so I may be wrong but I "think" there is a lever on the right side sort, of below the seat. It is about 3" long. In one position it allows the 3 PH to be picked up and down and the 3 PH hitch will "float" upwards if it the implement pushes it up. In the other position it allows you to set the draft control and it will hold the 3 PH in that position rigidly (no float).

My last 8N had a stop on the "draft control handle frame" with a wingnut so you could set it back on the same level if you had to raise and re-lower it.

Some of the current 8N owners can verify or correct my statements above.

One of the great mysteries of life to me is why a tractor built in the 40's had a true draft control and my 2004 Kubota B7510 does not.

God bless all the 8N's left in the world. After more than 50 years many of them are still serving their owners as well as any tractor ever has. I wish I still had mine and am sorry I sold it.

BTW, there are several excellent sites for N series Ford owners where you can get all sorts of information about your 8N. I recommend you purchase the IT manual for the 8N. It has all the information you will ever need to repair and even completely rebuild the 8N.

Bill Tolle

/ Draft Lever #4  
Up for position control. horizontal for draft control.

Use position control for things like a mower, or ~some~ blading work.. In position control mode, the "hytrol" lever controls the height o fthe 3pt lift.

Draft control for most ground engaging implements, like plows, etc. In draft mode, the 'hytrol' lever controls the draft on the tractor from the implement. Raise the handle for more responsive 'lift'.. In other words, with your hytrol set higher, if you encounter heavy/thick material.. or a root or rock, the lift will attempt to move up and over it. The higher the hytrol is set.. the more responsive to resistance the lif will be. With the hytrol all the way up, the implement is in 'transport' mode and will lift up, same as having the lift in position control, and the hytrol up.

8n owners manual has this info and more, and is pretty cheap.. 8 bucks some places.

Soundguy

/ Draft Lever
Thanks. Should I use position control when using a blade to move dirt when performing minor grading?

/ Draft Lever #6  
If digging or dragging dirt.. I'd use position control. If I was grading light gravel or uncompressed fill.. Imight use draft... just depends...

Soundguy