Drain plug 3/8 +/-

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/- #31  
Yes, I've done same with a socket where you can find the right 3/8 drive 12 point socket that will fit on a 3/8 drive ratchet.
The socket is less likely to round out than the plug.

Trying to recall where I have seen plugs with recessed square heads? Conduit plugs?
Look at the fill/drain plugs on older cars rear end pumpkins. I have a double ended wrench to take out those plugs that has seven different square tips on it. I restore antique cars, and have used most of those tips at one time or another. The common sizes are 3/8”, 7/16”, and 1/2”. My wrench ranges from 1/4” on up to 5/8”. Crazy tool, I inherited it from my father who worked as a mechanic back in the late 20s to the mid 30s.

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/- #32  
Find a open end wrench that is a little small and grind it to fit the plug and just keep it for that use only

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/- #33  
Wouldn't a plain old cresent wrench work? Then replace the drain plug with a new one from an auto parts store with a compatible thread and a head compatible with your open end wrench or socket.
When I acquire anew machine I buy an extra oil drain plug and gasket washers. And never over torque when replacing. I have a special drawer in my toolbox just for plugs.

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/-
When I acquire anew machine I buy an extra oil drain plug and gasket washers. And never over torque when replacing. I have a special drawer in my toolbox just for plugs.
I will take your good advice and begin doing the same.

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/- #35  
Buying the socket might be the correct approach, but im partial to the 'get it out once and replace it with something easier' persuasion. I have collected NPT fittings i salvaged off of scrap parts/pieces for years and years. I just hauled in a crazy amount that was in the shop of a house a friend bought. At this point I probably have 80-100lbs of npt fittings. Surely I dont need all of them but Im currently of the opinion it's better to have tons of bits and bobs in my shop than it is to spend my time searching for something online or in a store to get myself 'unstuck'. It's very likely based on the pic posted that it's a 1/8npt fitting.

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/- #36  
Buying the socket might be the correct approach, but im partial to the 'get it out once and replace it with something easier' persuasion. It's very likely based on the pic posted that it's a 1/8npt fitting.
🏁🥇🏆👍👌✌️ We have a winner.
Vigo I tip my hat since you read OP's question and responded germane to what he said.
Nowhere did op say he couldn't remove the plug nor did he ever ask how or what tool to use. What op did say was he wanted a faster and less messy means for changing oil. A 1/8 or 1/4 npt nipple of apporate leinght and a cap should accomplish both.

Ok men,grab the 🏈 round up the 🦧🦍🐒🐵 and close the popcorn stand.

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/- #37  
A 7/16" 4, 8 or 12 point socket would remove the plug. It could be plumbed out with 3/8" pipe and accessories from the hardware, a Drainzit or a standard 1/4 turn oil drain like this: Amazon.com : Briggs & Stratton Oil Drain Valve 5401 : Lawn Mower Oil Filters : Patio, Lawn & Garden
That is provided things like steering links won't interfere. MTD is a good one on their base riders to simply have room for a plug. Those come with little drain funnels in the owners manual pack, you can buy them as a service part, or you can fashion one on your own. A 2x4 under the tires on the other side gives a tilt and keeps things cleaner