Draining water and sediment from fuel tank

/ Draining water and sediment from fuel tank #1  

MountainBuck

Silver Member
Tractor
Ventrac 4500P; Kubota RTV-X1100C
I have the 4500P, which is the Kawasaki (gas) engine.

The manual says to "drain water and sediment from fuel tank" AS NEEDED or yearly.

I didn't find any procedure to follow for this. Also checked around the fuel tank and didn't find a sump to open.

Has anyone done this or have a slick way to recommend?

My thought was to run it almost dry then take my oil sucker to the gas tank and suck out any debris in the bottom.

/ Draining water and sediment from fuel tank #2  
Nothing specific to your machine, but if the fuel line comes off the bottom of the tank, water should be present in the line if you have some I'd think. Water is heavier than fuel.

/ Draining water and sediment from fuel tank #3  
My tractor has about 500 hours now and I have not yet removed the left side panel and maybe top left side panel to remove the fuel tank. I think water or fine sediment will be caught in your inline fuel filter which should be replaced every year. I can see clearly down into my tank with a bright LED flashlight and there is NO sediment there. The three fuel filters I have replaced were only a bit cruddy. Buy clean fuel and keep it clean. Also, the fuel lines appear to be pristine inside and out, not going to replace them every year either.

prs

/ Draining water and sediment from fuel tank #4  
I bought my first tractor - Ford 1700 - brand new in 1982. I traded it in for my current 2009 Kubota in 2009. The dealer put a new fuel filter in the Ford before he sold it. About two weeks later I was back at the dealers picking up my new Rhino rear blade. The service manager mentioned that after 27 years the Ford still had the OEM fuel filter and it was as clean as the replacement. I have NEVER had water or crud in any fuel I've ever had. I WILL change the fuel filter on the Kubota at the suggested interval. But I know it will not be necessary.

Whatever I'm doing - it's right and I'm not about to change. My jerry cans are stored inside where there is never condensation. I fill the fuel tank on the tractor after EVERY time I use it. I never use the last pint of fuel in the bottom of the jerry cans. It's saved in a separate can and used to fire up my "big burn" every fall.