Duel, wheels

/ Duel, wheels #11  
After doing tire testing for several years, and with emphasis on off pavement usage, I got a decent idea about what worked where, and why. Many knowledge gaps were filled in at Yuma Proving Grounds, where very sophisticated instruments eliminated the use of tape measures and other crude (in comparison) test methods.

Granted, this wasn't with tractor tires, but I'd like to think that tread patterns, conformability of the carcass, contact pressure, tread compounds, etc. would largely have the same effects, regardless of a certain tire's intended usage.

Anyway, I realize that truly large tractors sometimes need duals to perform their jobs, but find it interesting that it seems to be those with really small tractors that want to run duals. Why that is I can't understand, but I'm always willing to learn.

/ Duel, wheels #12  
Three reasons I can think of for duals on small tractors

- side hill stability since much wider foot print

- floatation for mowing or driving on soft ground

- ride comfort to lesser degree since duals add width you get less side to side movement in uneven terrain.

/ Duel, wheels #14  
Okay, far better flotation in the rear, but what about the even smaller and narrower front tires?
Can usually put wider tires on front if they require additional floatation. Without loader what is weight ratio front to rear on a small tractor? 70/30 , 60/40, I do not know but typically rears leave more ruts than fronts on my Branson with loader on.

Comes down to what is required for conditions being used under.

/ Duel, wheels #15  
Comes down to what is required for conditions being used under.
It sure does.

I've been thinking about when flotation is the most useful, using my Jeep as an example. It's built very light and with wide bias ply tires it works quite well in sand, on at least partially frozen snow, and also in mud (if it's somewhat firm).

It works because it can usually stay on top, without having to depend on high wheel speed to keep going. Or even any tire slip.

In comparison, another Jeep I have is quite heavy and has narrow, aggressive tires. That one is dismal when it comes to flotation, for obvious reasons. But when it comes to pulling something it puts my light trail Jeep to shame, not surprisingly.

With high contact pressure it gets great traction on most kinds of dirt, mud (if there's a bottom), and is pretty good in snow, as long as it isn't too deep. Much like a tractor.

Basically, in my mind a tractor needs traction more so than flotation. But if the goal is to not disturb turf instead of pulling some weight, then duals could work. Then again, so would (most likely) a golf cart.