Dumb question

/ Dumb question #1  

John Weaver

Silver Member
Tractor
2000 JD 790
Is the transmission fluid the same fluid that also powers the hydraulics? I only see two dipsticks, one for engine oil and one near the PTO (transmission and hydraulic fluid?) The JD 790 owners manual refers to "transmission fluid" and "hydraulic fluid", but I suspect that they are the same system. The tractor is 4wd, and I do have an additional little dipstick on the front axle. Thanks, John.

/ Dumb question #2  
Not necessarily but in a new tractor there's a very good chance they're the same. A JD owner can respond definitively. On my TC, the transmission, power steering, all hydraulic cylinders all use the same hydraulic fluid. Same is true on my JD garden tractor.

/ Dumb question #3  
I agree with Mike H, am not too familiar with your John Deere, but I'm pretty sure it's all the same.

Bird

/ Dumb question #4  
John, I don't know specifically about your tractor, either, but most tractors use three different lubricants, or are filled at three different places, at least: 1) Engine oil, 2) transmission and hydraulic oil, and 3) front axle oil.

Mark

/ Dumb question #5  
Yes, on the JD790 the transmission case serves as the tank for the fluid for the hydraulics, which also serves the power steering and the lube for the transmission. Others are right, there are three fills, the engine, the transmission and the front axle.

/ Dumb question #6  
I have a 4100 HST 4wd, the hydraulics, power steering, trans and PTO all take fluid from the trans, thus the excess of 3 gallons of fluid. The axles have seperate fluid as well as the engine.

/ Dumb question
Thanks, you guys are better than the owners manual. John.

/ Dumb question #8  
We don't do pictures very well, but we try to make up for it in other ways. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

It's great to have such a resource, isn't it?

Mark