DX55 flail mower capacity

/ DX55 flail mower capacity #1  

Matto75

Tractor
CIH DX55
Howdy,

New to TractorByNet and looking for some insight from DX55 owners on its flail mower capacity. I just bought it this fall with MFWD, EHSS, and loader. Adding beet juice to AG tires soon for another 1,000 lb. I'll be getting a 3 ph flail mower by next mowing season and don't want to buy smaller than what I have to. Not worried about 6' mowers or those in the 800-900 lb range, should be no problem. Mower I'd like is Woodmaxx FM-96H. 87" cutting width and weighs 1350 lb. Woodmaxx says 50 HP minimum. Some stuff I'll only mow once a year, so it could be thick, and I'll be on some steep ground. I know it's well within lift capacity but will I be light in the front or on power? My dad, lifelong farmer with bigger tractors, advises buying the better-built, heavier mower and just mowing slower if power needed. But neither of us have much experience with this tractor or 3 ph flails. Your experience with this tractor is much appreciated. Thanks!

/ DX55 flail mower capacity #2  
Hop on over to the "Lets Talk Flail Mowers" thread:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/118882-lets-talk-flail-mowers.html

Lots of insight and a great read on cold winter nights.

To answer your Q - You should have no problem with your choice of mower size. Your tractor is very similar in height, weight and length to most 50+HP tractors on the market today and as long as your 3ph can lift it you're good to go. When it is mowing the flail's weight is on the rear roller so that should not be an issue unless you lift the mower when you are crossways on the hill ... which you shouldn't do anyway. If you didn't have a loader you might have needed some suitcase weights on the front for better steering with the flail in transport mode.

Hope to see you over in "The Flail Nation"

/ DX55 flail mower capacity
Thanks for the tips whirly! I went ahead and ordered the mower a few days ago so good to get some back-up on that decision. Now it is on to sorting out grapples! Happy New Year!

/ DX55 flail mower capacity #4  
There is a grapple thread that came up just today with a lot of good info especially about what kind of jaws you want for the work you need it for. I'm in the process of getting one and needed to get some help on the decision. I decided on one like this:

Skid Steer 72 Grapple - Side Open.jpg

But read the thread and make up your own mind ... as if I needed to tell you that:p

Edit: the thread is here:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/372768-decision-grapple.html?highlight=grapple&highlight=grapple#post4626053

/ DX55 flail mower capacity #5  
I think you'll be fine. Flail mowers are easy on tractors PTO. Bush hogs are hard on PTO's.

whirly- I somehow missed this way back when. I ended up getting the EA Wicked single-lid 60". You? I still need to get the hydraulics run on mine so no review yet.

There is a grapple thread that came up just today with a lot of good info especially about what kind of jaws you want for the work you need it for. I'm in the process of getting one and needed to get some help on the decision. I decided on one like this:

View attachment 493323

But read the thread and make up your own mind ... as if I needed to tell you that:p

Edit: the thread is here:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/372768-decision-grapple.html?highlight=grapple&highlight=grapple#post4626053

Good deal, Hay Dude. Just heard the mower is in an ready to ship. Thanks.