Dynaflow

/ Dynaflow #1  

Rowski

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 New Holland TN70DA with 32LC loader, 2000 New Holland 2120 with Curtis cab, 7309 loader
We had a early 1950's Buick Dynaflow in last week for a state safety inspection. It passed /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

Attachments

• 35-200043-dynaflow.jpg
    35-200043-dynaflow.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 121
   / Dynaflow #2  
excellent photo!!! those cars had class, and u could tell one from the other.

/ Dynaflow #3  
Has it been restored or is it orginal yet? Looks to nice to be orginal.

/ Dynaflow #4  
That's beautiful. My Grandparents once had a sedan version of approximately the same vintage. It was nicknamed "Black Beauty". I can't recall the year, but think it was about a '52. I do remember what the '55 through '62's looked like, but can't tell the earlier ones apart. Back then the models had names like Roadmaster, Century and some others.

Dynaflow was what they called the automatic trans. It was in use at least as late as 1960, and perhaps beyond. It has basically park, neutral, forward and reverse. I think that's the order they were in on the shift lever - reverse all the way to the right on the indicator. You didn't notice any shifting like with our current transmissions as the car went forward, it just kinda changed pitch.

I can't say I've seen one in "woody" trim before. Thanks for posting the pic................chim

/ Dynaflow #5  
Verrry NICE,Don't see many Buick's in Oz though.What type of timber is used on the body and is it in original condition?Kerry in Oz.

/ Dynaflow #6  
Derek, the Dynaflow transmission was almost indestructible and the straight-8 inline engine had a very unique sound. I also remember that many of them had a problem with the keeper on the brake shoes. It would come loose and when you hit a bump the shoe would bump into the brake drum and make a "clink-clinking" sound. Some of them had starter switches under the accelerator pedal so you had to press the "pedal to the metal" to actuate the switch. That wagon is a beauty. I don't remember any that looked that good back in the 50's and it looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Thanks for the picture.

/ Dynaflow #7  
Beautiful old beast brings back memories. First car I drove at age 16 was handed-down 1950 Buick straight eight with dynaflow. Real front-heavy beast. By the time I got behind the wheel, the front end had sagged a couple inches, I always figured from all that weight. Dynaflow was smoothest of all trannies, but not very efficient. On really cold days, you'd put it in drive and it would just sit there whining for 30 seconds or so before any torque went to the rear wheels. Thanks for the picture.