Edge Tamers (Again!)

/ Edge Tamers (Again!) #1  

Chaos USMC

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM T503, 1962 Case 530 Case-a-matic
Good Evening Folks,

I know there are probably hundreds of Edge Tamer discussions but I tried numerous searches. Guessing I just can't put the right words in the search engine; is it working?

I recently ordered a set of the "Tamers" to help clear snow on my gravel driveway, awaiting delivery. In the mean time since there is always "good" and "bad" techniques for all tractor implements, I was hoping those of you with experience with the FEL "Tamers" on gravel driveways might share your lessons learned. Looking to avoid reinventing the wheel.

Thank you for any tips for success.

Be safe and be well.

/ Edge Tamers (Again!) #2  
Your rear axle doesn’t have suspension so it will set the angle/crown. With that, take a bite out of the right or left and avoid the middle. If you have two tamers you may catch the crown of the road if you try to run down the middle. If you have three tamers you may leave a bit on the sides. It’s always easier if the ground is frozen- much less chance to dig. Plus it’s more likely you can use the FEL float.

/ Edge Tamers (Again!) #3  
Have you checked out the "Similar Threads" at the bottom of the (this) page?

/ Edge Tamers (Again!) #5  
Depending on how wide your bucket is, you may want 3 Tamers across the cutting edge. Mine is ~67" across, and I use 3. Usage is pretty straight forwards. I just set the bucket flat on the ground and put the FEL in float. Then just push away.

/ Edge Tamers (Again!) #6  
Depending on how wide your bucket is, you may want 3 Tamers across the cutting edge. Mine is ~67" across, and I use 3. Usage is pretty straight forwards. I just set the bucket flat on the ground and put the FEL in float. Then just push away.

I am still perfecting my technique, but so far the above works for me.

/ Edge Tamers (Again!)
Morning Slow Poke and Shovelmike, thank you for your feedback.

I did purchase 3-4" tamers for my 72" bucket. The lay of my 700' gravel driveway is such that I needed only a minimal crown, if any, along it's length. The driveway slope into a ditch/trench I craved out last year works nicely, so, I'm thinking I will have less of a learning curve. There are a few spots though that have me thinking as the angle and dangle are not ideal. Hence my search for user input.

Thanks again. Be safe and be well.

/ Edge Tamers (Again!) #8  
I have 4) 4" on my 72" bucket. 84" Woods blade with wings on the sides and a pipe over the scraper on back. Setup works pretty good on gravel. If we get a heavy wet snow before the ground freezes it will still cut some sod in uneven areas. Like others stated, I set the bucket level and put the loader in float.

dsb