electronic repair of tractor parts

/ electronic repair of tractor parts #51  
Good points. I had forgotten the whole miniaturization part of the equation.
My whole job is problem solving and I am surprised by the number of people that give up at the first obstacle.

/ electronic repair of tractor parts
KOLA I have just returned from a visit to a Beech aircraft repair shop in Wichita ,Kan. and a VHF Collins radio was the size of a cheese box and total radio package could easy fit into a plastic milk carton used by college kids as book shelves.
there is no way being repaired except by skilled technicians.
so they just replace and never said what happened to the old one. Not interested why it failed or what was the cause .
Every thing is repaired by check list yes- no. if no replace and start over.
Glad I worked during the time I was employed .
Stopped by radio shack for roll of solder and they had no rosin core just lead mix hard to flow around wires.
lady there asked what going to use it for told her used to repair electronics she offered me a job.
and was serious about it. told here retired 22 years ago not looking for another job.
ken

/ electronic repair of tractor parts #53  
KOLA I have just returned from a visit to a Beech aircraft repair shop in Wichita ,Kan. and a VHF Collins radio was the size of a cheese box and total radio package could easy fit into a plastic milk carton used by college kids as book shelves.
so they just replace and never said what happened to the old one. Not interested why it failed or what was the cause .
Stopped by radio shack for roll of solder and they had no rosin core just lead mix hard to flow around wires.
lady there asked what going to use it for told her used to repair electronics she offered me a job.
and was serious about it. told here retired 22 years ago not looking for another job.
ken

The majority of solder offered for sale nowadays has no lead in it. It meets ROHS specifications. A European standard that everyone was forced into meeting. Solder without lead in it is almost worthless. It does not "wet out" and flow correctly. It wants to ball up. Somehow they make it work in the manufacturing process in wave soldering, but trying to build something or repair something with is is a major frustration. It also is noted for growing "tin whiskers" and ruining electronic circuit boards in a few years time. Horrible stuff.

/ electronic repair of tractor parts #54  
ken

The majority of solder offered for sale nowadays has no lead in it. It meets ROHS specifications. A European standard that everyone was forced into meeting. Solder without lead in it is almost worthless. It does not "wet out" and flow correctly. It wants to ball up. Somehow they make it work in the manufacturing process in wave soldering, but trying to build something or repair something with is is a major frustration. It also is noted for growing "tin whiskers" and ruining electronic circuit boards in a few years time. Horrible stuff.