emax25 no cold start.. I know this has been beaten to death

/ emax25 no cold start.. I know this has been beaten to death #1  

garye5007

Tractor
Mahindra Max 25
emax25 no cold start... when I warm up good (like for an hour) with a salamander heater It starts a little hard but it does start. been real cold here (the teens).
Could you please point me in the right direction as to what is most likely the problem? I tightened the bar that connects the glow plugs together I guess next is to Ohm out the glow plugs? Thanks in advance for any advice!

/ emax25 no cold start.. I know this has been beaten to death #2  
Hi Gary, I have to cycle the glow plugs 2 or 3 time to get it to fire and stay running. Also using an in-line radiator hose heater which really helps cut down on initial start clatter and reduced smoke. Does yours have the Daedong engine?

/ emax25 no cold start.. I know this has been beaten to death #3  
Ur on the right track..
No sense in making sure the connection is good if the gp’s r burnt out..
Personally I like to take them out and hook’m to a 12v battery charger and count the seconds till they’re cherry red.. should b less than 10 seconds..
You’ll b very surprised if u have a new gp and r able to compare them side x side.!!
Good luck.

/ emax25 no cold start.. I know this has been beaten to death
Thanks for the replies ! It has a mitsubushi engine.
Always used to start fine...even cold
would it be crazy to just replace GPs?
they can't be that expensive...
Gaey

/ emax25 no cold start.. I know this has been beaten to death #5  
Thanks for the replies ! It has a mitsubushi engine.
Always used to start fine...even cold
would it be crazy to just replace GPs?
they can't be that expensive...
Gaey
Ok on the Mitsubishi. Not sure then on the glow plug cycling. My Daedong is notoriously cold blooded and needs to cycle a few times. The pumpguy is also on to something. I also use Powerservice White Bottle in my fuel for a little ctane boost and anti gel.

/ emax25 no cold start.. I know this has been beaten to death #6  
The place to start would be a meter on the glow plugs to see what kind of voltage they're getting. For most the appropriate voltage is 10.5. More voltage will shorten their lives, less will create less heat. If the voltage is correct you can check individual glow plug resistance, not their resistance in parallel, so they must be removed from the circuit. Note - some glow plugs fail by shorting out and you need a pretty good ohmmeter to tell the difference. If you apply power to each individual plug expect a current draw in the neighborhood of ten amps.

/ emax25 no cold start.. I know this has been beaten to death #7  
You can test the glow plugs in place. Disconnect the wire and remove the bus bar.measure the resistance from the threaded terminal to ground. Should be 0.55 ohms. The voltage to the bus from the glow plug controller should be less the battery. Manual specs 10.5 volts.
Also you may be getting proper voltage but not current. Beside checking the spade connector at the plugs might want to clean up the bus, pull the connectors on the glow plug controller and spray some contact cleaner on them.
seem to recall some people have corrosion issues at a crimped connector but think it’s a bear to get to

/ emax25 no cold start.. I know this has been beaten to death
Yup, replaced glow plugs.. started right up like a summer day. Thanks again for all the advice!