Engine mounts needed?

/ Engine mounts needed? #1  

marrt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1845 and 425
So, I'm getting things together to put the Subaru 35 in the 425. I've seen other equipment use rubber motor mounts under the engine. In addition to the vibration damping, I've read this is done to extend bearing life in the engine. Anyone have thoughts or knowledge of this issue?

Tom

/ Engine mounts needed? #2  
You are on the money. It is worth doing. You do want to match the engine/pump weight to the damper to ensure that you have the right durometer(stiffness) of the mount.

All the best,

Peter

/ Engine mounts needed? #3  
I agree with Peter. Can't hurt. But you are going to have to "make your own". I did An ebay search. Rubber isolation mount. Rubber engine mount. Rubber lawn mower engine mount. Got tons of different results.

3 issues in my head. Some of the mounts will need a fender washer on each side. Keep in mind your clearance in your hood. If you get the type with a bolt on each end remember that bolt will hang under your tub and catch things. Oh. Use a nylock nut. Tighten snug but don't overtighten. Check once a year for snugness and rubber condition.

/ Engine mounts needed? #5  
I think the engines in the 400 series mount to plates in the tub. Shouldn't have to have bolts/heads sticking out under the tub.

/ Engine mounts needed? #6  
You can have a look at McMaster Carr to get an idea of the variation in mounts. You can size them by weight and anticipated side load per mount. I would look for mounts that are made of an oil resistant material.

If you google Subaru, you will find lots of hits. Just bear in mind that your mounting has all of the pump weight on it in addition. (and, for example, the mounts closest to the pumps may need to be larger.)

All the best,

Peter

/ Engine mounts needed?
Thanks guys. Sorry to disappear for a few days. I'm building a 40'x44' pole barn and was desperate to get the roof on. Over 6000 screws later, it's on (obviously not shown in the old image below). I'm using Suntuf corrugated poly-carbonate roofing. It's pretty cool because it lets a lot of light in. However, it's a real pita to put on. Not sure I'd go this route again.

Barn_zpsysqbm746.jpg

Back to the 425...the original engine is mounted to some spacers made out of thin wall tubing. These sit on a plate as shown in the photo below.

Tub_zpsjlgkhxoa.jpg

After some inspection, I determined the correct hole pattern for the Subarau 35 was already pre-drilled below the plate in the tub. Because a couple of the needed holes were close to the edge of the plate, I removed it with the intention of welding a larger plate in this spot. You can see in the image below that PT has holes for several different engines programmed into their CNC.

Tub2_zpsd4zcnamt.jpg

I used my lathe to fabricate more robust spacers out of DOM tubing and this got me thinking about proper engine mounts. Because the rear tub has several degrees of freedom to rotate and effectively use the tires for vibration suppression, perhaps PT felt it wasn't necessary to further isolate the engine. Still, I don't think it would hurt. The VD pump is fairly heavy plus the two additional pumps and hoses. I don't have a good way to get an exact measurement of the loads. Plus, as mentioned, the "front" mounts will bear a lot more load than the rear mounts.

At this point, it's a guessing game but I suspect a Durometer 60A or 70A might work.

/ Engine mounts needed? #8  
Nice looking barn. Put in a ramp and you can park the PT upstairs! :laughing:

All of your pumps are in front of your engine, correct?

Is there a concern that if you put in rubber mounts, the cantilevered weight of the pumps may put stress on the flexible mounts VS solid mounts?

As most of you know, I know knothing about lots of stuff, but still manage to ask plenty of stupid questions. :)

/ Engine mounts needed? #9  
So on my 65HP Diesel, the pumps are "on the front" and I have 4 rubber engine mounts. Only saying this because while there is some weight with the pumps, I don't think (assuming you don't buy some crazy small pieces of rubber) that it will have a detrimental effect.

Oh, and I had to google Durometer. Learn something new every day, thank you.