Engine oil in my Hydaulics

/ Engine oil in my Hydaulics #11  
In all my Kubota's I've never used UDT or SUDT and I've owner at least 10 and bought them all (except one) new. I do use their filters and OEM parts but the fluid is over rated and too expensive.
But they sure love selling that high priced oil to ya.

/ Engine oil in my Hydaulics #12  
Not to me, ever and certainly not in the front axle. Front axle gets 85-140 GL4. I do get a hefty discount as I work at the dealership part time but even then, it's overpriced. Besides, both mine take almost 15 gallons on a change x 2 so that is a large amount. Been getting mine from my local lubricant supplier in 55 gallon drums, Shell Rotella hydraulic oil to be exact. Get my engine oil the same way, again Shell Rotella T6. use it in everything from the lawnmower engines, to the standby generator to the tractors to my Wife's Burb to my Focus RS. Never had issue one contrary to what Scotty Kilmer says on his YT channel.

Drop a full drum and pick up the empty and i can (but don't) return the used oil in the pick up drum. Used oil, gear oil and brake fluid goes in my waste oil furnace as it gets COLD up here in the winter and usually I don't have enough anyway. AF (not a lot) goes to the local garage up town and Safety Kleen picks that up.

The main reason why I have 2 identical Kubota's. They take take the same lubricants, filters and tires too. Only difference is one is a cab and one is an open station. same engine, same gearbox, same FEL, same buckets and same faded Kubota orange that fades to Mary Kay pink.

/ Engine oil in my Hydaulics #13  
Get my engine oil the same way, again Shell Rotella T6. use it in everything from the lawnmower engines, to the standby generator to the tractors to my Wife's Burb to my Focus RS. Never had issue one contrary to what Scotty Kilmer says on his YT channel.

So you are using diesel engine oil in gasoline engines? I know there are different grades of oil and that there is oil to gasoline specs and a different grade to diesel specs. Can the diesel oil be used in gasoline engines? If so, why are there 2 different types of oil?

/ Engine oil in my Hydaulics #14  
I’m just not as smart as some folks. I just tend to follow the recommendations of the OEM suppliers regarding lubricants and maintenance practices.

/ Engine oil in my Hydaulics #15  
agree w/others, the dilution won't hurt a bit. in zero turn hydraulics, i've seen manufacturers recommend full syn mobil 1 15/50 engine oil as the fluid to use, so yes, it's sometimes used for hyd fluid. you'll be fine & just change next time w/oem filters & udt2 fluid.

/ Engine oil in my Hydaulics #16  
So you are using diesel engine oil in gasoline engines? I know there are different grades of oil and that there is oil to gasoline specs and a different grade to diesel specs. Can the diesel oil be used in gasoline engines? If so, why are there 2 different types of oil?
Some diesel engine oils are also rated for gasoline engines -- they vary, a lot. You have to read the API ratings on the bottles to know what they can be used in.

Shell Rotella T6 diesel oil, for example, can be used in motorcycles, if it is JASO rated, but not all T6 formulas are JASO rated... I ran Rotella T6 full synthetic in three motorcycles, now down to just one. They all shared the engine oil with their transmissions; two were air cooled, one is water cooled; all ran flawlessly on it, as long as I stayed within the specified viscosity range, and I used JASO rated formulas.

The devil is in the detailed ratings of any jug of oil.

I put Shell Universal Hydraulic Tractor Oil into my Mahindra hydrostatic tractor transimission, and front end (4 WD, front wheels have a separate hydraulic system). Been running fine, ever since. I sourced it on Shell's site, to make sure it met Mahindra make and model spec's: they recommended two types of oil, and one was the Universal, which is readily available at my my local Fleet Farm stores; the other was a special order, and delivery fees on a 5-gallon bucket of oil was more than I wanted to pay, when I could get something locally, for cheaper, and still within spec's! My independent tractor mechanic said it was good oil to use, and I trust him. Cheers!

/ Engine oil in my Hydaulics #17  
@steeevo

If I did it to my machine, I would leave it. If you were my son, I'd tell you to leave it.

If you were my client and I accidentally did it to your tractor, I would change it out.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT